Coming soon: Location-Based Services Session Video Recordings from the 2018 Public Safety Broadband Stakeholder Meeting.
Advancing technologies to seamlessly locate, track,
and inform first responders while operating indoors.
The ability to locate, track, and inform first responders while indoors under difficult conditions remains a 'Holy Grail' sought by public safety. Law enforcement officers enter buildings every day, often alone and in peril, without the benefits of indoor tracking. Firefighters continue to die or become seriously injured each year because they are lost, disoriented, or difficult to locate in emergency situations.
The missions of the LBS portfolio is to demonstrate that indoor mapping, localization, and navigation capabilities that first responders can depend on, are within reach.
Winning entry from the NIST Prize Competition: "The Future of Public Safety Technology 100k Video Series" on the topic of Location Based Services. Video produced for NIST Public Safety Communications Research (PSCR) program by The Norman Invasion & Tongal.
Measurement & Testing
Learn more about the Localization and Tracking System Testing Consortium! The goals of the LTS Testing Consortium are to demonstrate and further develop standardized localization and tracking system testing procedures, and to measure current state of the art.
- An Infrastructure-free Localization System for First Responders
- Hyper-reality Helmet for Mapping and Visualizing Public Safety Data
- Situational Awareness for Emergencies through Network-enabled Technologies
- First Responder Location and Mapping Services
- Ultimate Navigation Chip (uNavChip): Chip-scale Personal Navigation System
- First Responder Indoor Location Using LTE Direct Mode Operations
- Decimeter Accurate, Long Range Non-line-of-sight RF Localization Solution for Public Safety Applications
- Pervasive, Accurate, and Reliable Location-Based Services for Emergency Responders
Current Funding Opportunities
Now accepting applications for the Public Safety Innovation Accelerator Program - Point Cloud City Funding Opportunity! The purpose of this funding opportunity is to generate an extensive catalog of annotated 3D indoor point clouds that can be used by industry, academia, and government to advance R&D activities in the areas of indoor mapping, localization and navigation for public safety. Additionally, participants will demonstrate the potential value of ubiquitous indoor positioning and location-based information for public safety and smart cities. To find out more, visit our Point Cloud City page.