This section is dedicated to information that might be useful for academics, researchers, and others interested in reviewing or analyzing Baldrige-related data. Some of the data found here have been compiled by organizations other than the Baldrige Program. We will only post data that we can reasonably assume to be accurate and valid, however, we make no guarantees.
How to Cite the Baldrige Excellence Framework
Guidance for 2019-2020 and earlier versions of the Framework
The Framework is in the public domain and are not subject to copyright protection in the United States; however, the Framework contain trademarks and service marks that are protected by the U.S. Department of Commerce. Beginning with the 2013–2014 Framework, the Baldrige Program is limiting the unauthorized use of these trademarks and service marks to recover costs associated with developing, producing, printing, distributing, and inventorying the Framework. Outside of the United States, the U.S. Department of Commerce, as represented by NIST, holds copyright to the Framework.
In most cases, the Baldrige Program will approve the use of Framework content reprinted for educational purposes at no charge, especially if the purpose includes educating others about the Framework and promotes Framework use.
Requesters are asked to adhere to certain conditions as follows:
- Use this citation: Baldrige Performance Excellence Program. 2019. 2019–2020 Framework: Leadership and Management Practices for High Performance. Gaithersburg, MD: U.S. Department of Commerce, National Institute of Standards and Technology.
- After quotations or figures from the Framework, refer to Baldrige Performance Excellence Program (2019), p. X. And when referring to the program, refer to the Baldrige Performance Excellence Program or the Baldrige Program.
- If permission is requested to use Framework copy/graphics in a book about the Framework, inform the readers that the book is designed to educate people about the Framework and serves as a supplemental guide to the Framework booklet itself.
- Instruct readers of the requested material to obtain a copy of the Framework by visiting our website (https://www.nist.gov/baldrige/publications/baldrige-excellence-framework). The requester can decide where to place this message; for a book, the preface or front or back covers might be good locations.
- Do not include the Framework or Framework booklet intact in its entirety. In other words, the content must be interspersed with other content that the requester develops, not simply included as a complete document, intact as it was published (such as including it in an appendix).
The most common permissions request is for the Framework model graphic. The following can be copied and pasted as a standard answer to that (or a similar) request—given that the requester is seeking to use the graphic for educational purposes.
This figure (or figure used on slide/page X) is used with permission of the Baldrige Performance Excellence Program. 2019. 2019–2020 Framework: Leadership and Management Practices for High Performance. Gaithersburg, MD: U.S. Department of Commerce, National Institute of Standards and Technology. Purchase a copy of the Baldrige Excellence Framework.
Futurescan 2013: Healthcare Trends and Implications 2013-2018 PDF excerpt page 44
100 Top Hospitals CEO Insights: Adoption Rates of Select Baldrige Award Practices PDF excerpt 2012 Truven Health Analytics
Comparison of Baldrige Award Applicants and Recipients with Peer Hospitals on a National Balanced Scorecard PDF Thomson Reuters
You need to have Acrobat Reader installed on your computer to view the PDF file. If you do not have Acrobat Reader installed on your computer, download the program at http://get.adobe.com/reader. (link is external) People with visual disabilities can download tools and information at http://access.adobe.com (link is external) to help make Adobe PDF files accessible.