The NCNR now uses the web-based Information Management System (IMS) to track interactions with its facility users.
The following steps must be followed before a first time user can obtain unescorted access to the NIST site and unescorted access to the experimental areas of the NIST Center for Neutron Research (NCNR). These procedures are designed to meet NCNR security and safety requirements.
If you have any questions please contact the NCNR User Office (K07) at 301-975-8200 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Steps prior to coming:
Users who are not US citizens or US permanent residents must complete the NCNR Visitor Registration form at least 35 calendar days prior to arrival.
- Create a new IMS account.
- Activate your IMS account.
- Complete the NIST Visitor Registration located in your IMS Account under the User Activities tab.
- Request Health Physics Tour, located under the User Activities tab in your IMS Account.
- Complete the online radiation training, located under the User Activities tab in your IMS Account. (You may do this on-site but it could delay you if you havent allocated sufficient time before hand on-site).
- Prepare a Trustworthy Letter, written and signed on official letterhead from your home institution. Original letter is required. You cannot obtain a badge from the NCNR without this letter.
Bring with you:
- U.S. Citizens: a photo identification
- Non U.S. Citizens: Your passport and visa - Proof of Stay in the United States (for example: DS2019, I94, I20, green card, permanent resident card, work employment card, etc.). Note: a tourist visa is not acceptable. Please contact us if you have any questions at 301-975-8200 or email email@example.com.
- A signed copy of your Trustworthy Letter.
Steps after arriving:
- Complete the Radiation Safety Training and have the form signed.
- Review instrument and laboratory safety requirements with your NIST Sponsor. (Safety Checklist)
- Bring numbers 1 and 2 above along with your Trustworthy Letter to the User Office (K07.)
- Complete a Facility User Agreement.
Important: If you are not a U.S. citizen please bring proof of stay in the United States and passport. A tourist visa (e.g. B2 or WT) is not acceptable. In some cases additional forms will need to be completed after you arrive.
- When steps 1-4 are completed you will receive your badge from the User Office (K07.)