The Applied Economics Office is actively engaged in developing research, tools, and methods for advancing US manufacturing competitiveness. The products of this work are presented below. Some items, such as tools and methods, are targeted toward manufacturers while others are targeted toward change agents such as trade organizations and public research facilities.
Software Tools and Methods for Manufacturers
- Investment Analysis Methods: A practitioner’s guide to understanding the basic principles for investment decisions in manufacturing. NIST AMS 200-5.
- Coming soon: Anticipated in 2019
- Software Tool: Manufacturing Cost Guide
- ASTM Standard: Guide for Investment Analysis in Environmentally Sustainable Manufacturing
- Coming soon in 2020 and beyond
- Cost Assessment Tool for Sustainable Manufacturing (CATS)
Annual Review of the US Manufacturing Industry
- Annual Manufacturing Review: 2018. AMS 100-20.
- Annual Manufacturing Review: 2017. AMS 100-12
- Annual Manufacturing Review: 2016. NIST TN 1935
- Annual Manufacturing Review: 2015. NIST TN 1901
- The Current State and Recent Trends of the US Manufacturing Industry. NIST SP 1142
- Identifying High Resource Consumptions Supply Chain Points: A Case Study in Automobile Production. IIOA Proceedings.
- Identifying High Resource Consumption Areas of Assembly-Centric Manufacturing in the United States. Journal of Technology Transfer. February 2019. Vol 44. Iss 1. 264-311.
- Tracking Industry Operations Activity: A Case Study of US Automotive Manufacturing. NIST SP 1601.
- Inventory and Flow Time in the US Manufacturing Industry. NIST TN 1890.
- US Manufacturing Value Chain: An International Perspective. NIST TN 1810.
- Life-Cycle Cost of Manufactured Goods: A Case Study in US Ground Passenger Transportation. IIOA Proceedings.
- An Examination of National Supply-Chain Flow Time. Economic Systems Research. 2018. Vol 30. Iss 3. 359-379.
- Additive Manufacturing
- Costs and Cost Effectiveness of Additive Manufacturing. NIST SP 1176.
- Economics of the US Additive Manufacturing Industry. NIST SP 1163.
- Costs, Benefits, and Adoption of Additive Manufacturing: A Supply Chain Perspective. International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology.
- Economics of Additive Manufacturing. Book Chapter in Laser-Based Additive Manufacturing of Metal Parts.
- Adding it Up: The Economic Impact of Additive Manufacturing. The Economist Intelligence Unit.
- Machinery Maintenance
- The Costs and Benefits of Advanced Maintenance in Manufacturing. NIST AMS 100-18.
- Advanced Maintenance in Manufacturing: Costs and Benefits. Proceedings of the PHM Society Conference.
- Constructed Facilities
- Economic Impact of Improved Service-Life Prediction for Seams in Low-Slope EPDM Roofing. Journal of ASTM International.
- Benefits and Costs of Research: A Case Study of Improved Service Life Prediction. NIST TN 1650
- A Guide to Printed and Electronic Resources for Developing a Cost-Effective Risk Mitigation Plan for New and Existing Constructed Facilities. NIST SP 1082.