Types of Laboratory Metrology Seminars
A number of laboratory metrology seminars are offered by the NIST Weights and Measures Laboratory Metrology Program. Course descriptions, the current schedule, and the link to sign up for seminars are provided here. The duration of all webinars is two hours. The duration of all courses, with the exception of the Mass Metrology Seminar is one week. The Mass Metrology Seminar is two weeks. The courses are:
- Advanced Mass
- Fundamentals of Metrology
- Length Metrology Seminar
- Fundamentos de Metrologia
- Mass Metrology Seminar
- Mass Metrology CD ROM: SP (1001)
- English- Basic Mass Metrology CD (NIST SP 1001)
- Spanish - Basic Mass Metrology CD (NIST SP 1001-S)
- CD Instructions: This course was originally created as a CD-ROM course using Macromedia Authorware™ (now part of Adobe). At this time, this course will operate better if you run it from your computer. Please download the Zip files and install all of the files from each Part (per language) into a single directory on your computer. If using Windows 7 or later, you will need to specify "use compatibility for Windows XP." Please be aware that the "Enter" key (NOT "Tab") must be used after entries throughout the course. Start the course by running the "NIST_Intro.exe" file.
- Volume Metrology Seminar
- 2016 RMAP Memo and Agenda (November 17, 2015)
- 2017 RMAP Memo and Agenda (August 31, 2016)
- 2018 RMAP Memo and Agenda (October 5, 2017)
- 2019 RMAP Memo and Agenda (March 5, 2019)
- 2020 RMAP Memo and Agenda (August 8, 2019)
All courses will meet at NIST at the following location unless otherwise indicated on your confirmation notice:National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)
Building 101, Room B 11
Gaithersburg, MD 20899
Sign-up and Confirmation
Log into the OWM database to request training using the Weights and Measures Contact Management System. Telephone requests and emails to sign up for a class are not accepted. Once we have your request to participate in the system, you will get a "registration" email. This is NOT a confirmation for the class. We will send an official confirmation letter approximately six to eight weeks before the seminar (when possible) with detailed information about payments, with the schedule and location of the seminar. Webinar confirmations may be sent by email closer to the event unless there are payments required.
The Washington Metrorail (light rail system) is available from National Airport (awkward with much luggage). You must purchase a ticket at the National Airport Metro station for the entire trip. Take the Blue Line from the airport, change to the Red Line at Metro Center station and take the Red Line to the last stop at Shady Grove, then take a cab to the hotel. Taxis are also available at a cost between $40 and $50. You may also rent a car if you so desire. Many of the local hotels have a shuttle to and from NIST. Please verify if your hotel has shuttle service to NIST when making room reservations.
You will need a government-issued photo ID (e.g., passport or driver's license) when you check into the Visitors Center at the entrance of NIST on Monday morning. If you will be driving, please bring your Vehicle Registration card also.
PLEASE NOTE: Effective July 21, 2014, under the REAL ID Act of 2005 (http://www.dhs.gov/real-id-public-faqs (link is external)), agencies, including NIST, can only accept a state-issued driver's license or identification card for access to federal facilities if issued by states that are REAL ID compliant or have an extension. NIST currently accepts other forms of federally issued identification in lieu of a state-issued driver's license, such as a valid passport, passport card, DOD's Common Access Card (CAC), Veterans ID, Federal Agency HSPD-12 IDs, Military Dependents ID, Transportation Workers Identification Credential (TWIC), and TSA Trusted Traveler ID.
New Training Laboratory Safety Requirement
Seminar attendees are required to provide safety toed footwear complying with at least the I/C-75 rating of ANSI Z41.1.
NIST OWM has a number of other training opportunities scheduled. For more information: