Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

The Story of an Old Timer: Out of Room (part 3)

WWV staff
Picture of some staff in front of the new building in April of 1943.

The wooden transmitter building burned to the ground on November 6, 1940.

After the fire Congress allocated $230K for a new brick station located three miles south on U.S. Department of Agriculture experimental farm - but still called Beltsville - but some referred to it as Greenbelt.

It was up and operating by January 1943. Stability was improved to 2 x 108 by burying three 100 kHz quartz crystals in a concrete vault 25 feet below ground.

In February 1944 a 2.5 MHz transmission was added. In December of 1946  25, 30 and 35 MHz transmissions were added and the Radio Section was renamed the Central Radio Propagation Laboratory (CRPL).

All signals were closely monitored back at the Bureau and at the USNO which allowed the two entities to synchronize their clocks and signals. This later led to the decision on atomic clock definition of the second ... cooperation with NPL.

transmitter building
Picture of an official inspection outside the transmitter building
new brick station building
New brick station building
transmitter room
Transmitter room in the new building

Contacts

Created March 28, 2017, Updated December 23, 2019