The publications produced within the Office of Weights and Measures pertains to areas of legal metrology, laws, regulations, measurement devices, and specifications and tolerances. Within the National Institute of Standards and Technology there are several classifications of documents. In this office the documents are primarily handbooks (HB) which contain recommended codes of engineering and industrial practice (including safety codes) developed in cooperation with interested industries, professional organizations, and regulatory bodies. Special Publications (SP) that include proceedings of conferences sponsored by NIST, NIST annual reports, and other special publications appropriate to this grouping such as wall charts, pocket cards, and bibliographies. NIST Interagency or Internal Reports (NISTIR or IR) are also prepared, and they are a series of interim or final reports on worked performed by NIST for outside sponsors (both government and nongovernment).
- NIST Handbook 44: Specifications, Tolerances, and Other Technical Requirements for Weighing and Measuring Devices - Current Edition
- NIST Handbook 130: Uniform Laws and Regulations in the Areas of Legal Metrology and Engine Fuel Quality - Current Edition
- Handbook 112: Examination Procedure Outlines (Pending-updated)
- NIST Handbook 133: Checking the Net Contents of Packaged Goods - Current Edition
- NIST Handbook 158: Field Sampling Procedures for Fuel and Motor Oil Quality Testing: A Handbook for Use by Fuel and Oil Quality Regulatory Officials - Current Edition