NIST Mission, Vision, Core Competencies, and Core Values
To promote U.S. innovation and industrial competitiveness by advancing measurement science, standards, and technology in ways that enhance economic security and improve our quality of life.
NIST will be the world's leader in creating critical measurement solutions and promoting equitable standards. Our efforts stimulate innovation, foster industrial competitiveness, and improve the quality of life.
NIST's core competencies
- Measurement science
- Rigorous traceability
- Development and use of standards
NIST's core values
NIST is an organization with strong values, reflected both in our history and our current work. NIST leadership and staff will uphold these values to ensure a high performing environment that is safe and respectful of all.
- Perseverance: We take the long view, planning the future with scientific knowledge and imagination to ensure continued impact and relevance for our stakeholders.
- Integrity: We are ethical, honest, independent, and provide an objective perspective.
- Inclusivity: We work collaboratively to harness the diversity of people and ideas, both inside and outside of NIST, to attain the best solutions to multidisciplinary challenges.
- Excellence: We apply rigor and critical thinking to achieve world-class results and continuous improvement in everything we do.