The NIST Portrait Gallery of Distinguished Scientists, Engineers and Administrators honors NBS/NIST alumni for outstanding career contributions to the work of NBS/NIST. Portraits and biographies of those selected are displayed in the corridor of the NIST cafeteria at Gaithersburg, and in the Digital Portrait Gallery at NIST Gaithersburg and NIST Boulder sites. No more than 10 additional persons will be added to the Portrait Gallery in 2021.
Any current or former NBS/NIST staff member may nominate a candidate for the Portrait Gallery. Nominations are welcome for alumni who were scientists, engineers or administrators of either programmatic or support units.
Candidates who have been nominated in previous years, but not selected, may be nominated again, but no candidate may be nominated in more than two successive years. For example, candidates may again be nominated in a fourth year or later, so long as they are not nominated in more than two successive years. Resubmission should be seen as an opportunity for the nominator to improve the nomination of a worthy candidate.
Nomination instructions and an example are found below. Please address questions to the Standards Alumni Association at firstname.lastname@example.org or the Portrait Gallery Committee at email@example.com. Nominations shall be received by the Standards Alumni Association, by email to either of the above addresses. If you are unable to submit a nomination by email please write to one of the above emails for further instruction. Nominations shall be received by the Standards Alumni Association by March 9, 2021. No exceptions will be made to this deadline.
Please note that prior contact information for the SAA Office (Room A-42 Admin, Mail Stop 0952, NIST, Gaithersburg, MD 20899-0952; telephone 301-975-2486; email: firstname.lastname@example.org) is currently not operational.
NIST Portrait Gallery Nomination Instructions
Click here to download nomination example (Microsoft Word document)
- Nominee must be a former NBS/NIST scientist, engineer or administrator and the nominator must be a present or past NBS/NIST employee. For the information requested below, the Jury, on a case-by-case basis, may consider employment as a guest worker or research associate at NBS/NIST, or with the NBS/NIST-affiliated programs such as JILA and IBBR (the Institute for Bioscience and Biotechnology Research), as equivalent to employment at NBS/NIST.
- Nominations shall be received by the SAA Portrait Gallery Committee no later than c.o.b. March 9, 2021 (no exceptions). Please submit by email to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are unable to submit by email, please write to one of the above email addresses for instructions on how to submit hard copy. Any questions may be submitted to the emails above. Nominations will be acknowledged to the nominator(s) when received. Nominators, please follow up if acknowledgement is not timely.
- Nomination may not exceed two pages, single spaced, in Times New Roman 12 or similar sized font, with 25 mm minimum margins.
- Nomination must be presented in the format given below, either as an electronic file (preferably), or in hard copy. Please contact the Portrait Gallery Committee at one of the emails above if this is not possible.
- Nomination must be confidential and may not be divulged to the nominee.
(As you prepare the nomination please follow the format heading below.)
- Nominee’s name and, for a living nominee, address, telephone and email. If the nominee is deceased, please provide, if possible, the name, address, telephone and email for an heir.
- Years at NBS/NIST: xxxx-yyyy
- Citation/Impact (nominee's claim to honor in 30 or fewer words).
- Birth year and birthplace.
- Education (postsecondary) (universities, degrees, dates).
- Principal positions held at NBS/NIST, with dates.
- Describe outstanding work at NBS/NIST, including scientific, technical, managerial or administrative contributions, and cite its impacts.
- List, at most, six significant examples of products of work at NBS/NIST such as publications, patents and administrative products. If relevant, give the total number of publications and patents based on NBS/NIST work.
- Important external professional and governmental committee memberships and work, while employed at NBS/NIST, and cite the impacts of this external work.
- Recognitions, awards and distinctions, within and external to NBS/NIST, as a consequence of work performed at NBS/NIST.
- Name and contact information for the nominator and for one additional current or former NBS/NIST staff member willing to support the nomination.