Biometrics – Fingerprints
- Compression Guidance for 1000 ppi Friction Ridge Imagery, NIST SP 500-289, February 2014 (pdf)
- Towards NFIQ II Lite: Self-Organizing Maps for Fingerprint Image Quality Assessment, NISTIR 7973, December 2013 (pdf)
- Writing Guidelines to Develop a Memorandum of Understanding for Interoperable Automated Fingerprint Identification Systems, May 2013 (pdf)
- Writing Guidelines for Requests for Proposals for Automated Fingerprint Identification System, April 2013 (pdf)
- Latent Interoperability Transmission Specification, February 2013 (pdf)
- Markup Instructions for Extended Friction Ridge Features, February 2013 (pdf)
- Extended Feature Set Profile Specification, January 2013 (pdf)
- Evaluation of Latent Fingerprint Technologies: Extended Feature Sets, NISTIR 7859, June 2012 (pdf)
- Latent Print Examination and Human Factors: Improving the Practice through a Systems Approach, February 2012 (pdf)
Biometrics – Face Recognition
- Face Recognition Vendor Test, Performance of Face Recognition Algorithms, NISTIR 8009, May 2014 (pdf)
- Performance of Face Recognition Algorithms on Compressed Images, NISTIR 7830, December 2011 (pdf)
Biometrics – Data Interchange
- Data Format for the Interchange of Fingerprint, Facial & Other Biometric Information ANSI/NIST-ITL 1-2011 NIST Special Publication 500-290 Edition 3, August 22, 2016 (pdf)
- BioCTS 2012: Advanced Conformance Test Architectures and Test Suites for Biometric Data Interchange Formats and Biometric Information Records, NISTIR 7877, September 2012 (pdf)
- Crime Scene Investigation: A Guide for Law Enforcement, September 2013 (pdf)
Firearms and Toolmarks
- Surface Topography Analysis for a Feasibility Assessment of a National Ballistics Imaging Database, May 2007 (pdf)
Laboratory Practices and Management
- RFID Technology in Forensic Evidence Management: An Assessment of Barriers, Benefits and Costs, November 2014 (pdf)
- Forensic Science Laboratories: Handbook for the Facility Planning, Design, Construction, and Relocation, June 2013 (pdf)
- The Biological Evidence Preservation Handbook: Best Practices for Evidence Handlers, April 2013 (pdf)
- Netherlands Forensic Institute paper on Trends, Challenges and Strategy in the Forensic Sector, March 2013 (pdf)
More Forensic Science Publications Resources
- Go to the NIST Publications Portal to search for recent journal articles and more NIST forensic science publications. Select "forensics" in the topic area field.
- Find reports and publications from the National Forensic Laboratory Information System.
- Perform a keyword search for "forensic science" with the National Library of Medicine's PubMed database.
- Visit the National Criminal Justice Reference Service to find statistics, information on legislation, publications, training, and grants.
- Cyberfetch, by the Department of Homeland Security Science and Technology Directorate, is a cyber forensics electronic technology clearinghouse.