TPO builds and sustains technology partnering activities between the NIST laboratories and industries in the U.S., local, state and federal agencies, and the general public.
Mission: TPO enables technology transfer to promote US competitiveness, both for NIST and as across the Federal government for the Department of Commerce.
- Promoting both formal and informal collaboration opportunities for NIST researchers including Cooperative Research and Development Agreements (CRADAs) and Material Transfer Agreements (MTAs); and coordinating Facility Use Agreements (FUAs);
- Managing NIST intellectual property (inventions, patents, licenses, trademarks);
- Managing the NIST Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) Program;
- Supporting NIST Associates and Guest Researchers;
- Strengthening awareness of NIST technology transfer; and
- Analyzing the economic impact of NIST technology transfer activities.
- Coordinating cross-governmental policy through the Interagency Workgroup for Technology Transfer;
- Serving as the Host Agency for the Federal Laboratory Consortium for Technology Transfer;
- Performing government-wide reporting and analysis of technology transfer; and
- Enabling improvements in the transfer of results from lab to market.