Joshua B Martin
2008-current: National Research Council Postdoctoral Fellow at NIST, Mentor: Winnie Wong-Ng, Ph.D.
2003-2008: Graduate Research, Novel Materials Laboratory Department of Physics, University of South Florida, Mentor: George S. Nolas, Ph.D.
2005: Internship, General Motors R&D, Mentor: Jihui Yang, Ph.D.
Ph.D. Applied Physics Thesis: "Methods of Thermoelectric Enhancement in Silicon-Germanium Alloy Type I Clathrates and in Nanostructured Lead Chalcogenides" University of South Florida, Tampa, FL, 2008
M.S. Physics Thesis: "Optimization Study of Ba-Filled Si-Ge Alloy Type I Semiconducting Clathrates for Thermoelectric Applications"
University of South Florida, Tampa, FL 2005
B.S. Physics University of South Florida, Tampa, FL, 2002
- Develop advanced metrology techniques and apparatus to characterize the physical properties of thermoelectric and other energy conversion materials
- Investigate the structure-property relationships of novel energy conversion materials
- Inorganic materials of interest: functional nanocomposites, oxides, open-structured frameworks, and combinatorial films
Figure 1: Power conversion diagram for a thermoelectric device, where a temperature gradient is converted into electrical energy.
Figure 2(left): Temperature dependent power factor for polycrystalline type I clathrate materials in comparison to single crystal data (dashed line). Appl. Phys. Lett. 92, (2008).; Figure 3(right): Seebeck coefficient and power factor vs. carrier concentration demonstrating an enhancement in nanocomposite PbTe (filled circles) in comparison to bulk PbTe (dashed line). Phys. Rev. B 79, (2009).
Awards and Honors
- Summer Research Fellowship, Department of Physics, USF, 2007
- Graduate Publication Award, College of Arts and Sciences, USF, 2007
- Fred L. and Helen M. Tharp Physics Graduate Scholarship, USF, 2006
- General Motors R&D Internship, Warren, MI, 2005
- Student Poster Award, Symposium S, Materials Research Society Fall 2003 Meeting, Boston, MA, 2003
Publications Prior to Joining NIST:
- J. Martin, G. S. Nolas, H. Wang, Optimization of the thermoelectric properties of Ba8Ga16Ge30, Appl. Phys. Lett., 92, 222110 (2008).
- J. Martin, G. S. Nolas, H. Wang, J. Yang, Thermoelectric Properties of Silicon-Germanium Type I Clathrates, J. Appl. Phys. 102, 103719 (2007).
- J. Martin, G. S. Nolas, W. Zhang, and L. Chen, PbTe nanocomposites synthesized from PbTe nanocrystals, Appl. Phys. Lett. 90, 222112 (2007).