Greta Babakhanova is a NIST-NRC Postdoctoral Research Fellow working with her advisor, Dr. Carl G. Simon Jr., in the Biomaterials Group. She completed her PhD in Chemical Physics from the Advanced Materials and Liquid Crystal Institute, Kent State University in 2019. Her dissertation research was performed in the lab of Dr. Oleg D. Lavrentovich where Greta worked on characterizing twist-bend nematic liquid crystals using electro- and magneto-optical methods as well as electron microscopy techniques. She also developed stimuli-responsive elastomer coatings with pre-determined surface topographies. Her current objective is to develop robust standard protocols for measuring cell viability in three-dimensional scaffolds.
- 3D non-invasive live cell imaging
- Cell viability measurements in 3D scaffolds
- Stimuli-responsive biomaterials
- Material characterization via opto- and magneto-electronic methods
- Computational methods for live/dead cell measurements
- Quantitative microscopy
- Cell-surface interactions and morphogenesis
- Regenerative medicine
GRANTS AND RESEARCH FUNDING
- National Research Council Postdoctoral Fellowship, 2019 - 2021
- Graduate Student Research Award, Kent State University, 2018
- Graduate Student Research Award, Kent State University, 2017
- Undergraduate Research Grant, 2012
- G. Babakhanova, J. Krieger B-X. Li, T. Turiv, M-H. Kim, O.D. Lavrentovich. Cell alignment by smectic liquid crystal elastomer coatings with nanogrooves. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A, 108: 1223– 1230, (2020).
- 2. T. Turiv, J. Krieger, G. Babakhanova, H. Yu, S. V. Shiyanovskii, Q-H. Wei, M-H.Kim, O. D. Lavrentovich. “Cell alignment by smectic liquid crystal elastomer coatingswith nanogrooves,” Science Advances, (2020), Accepted.
- 3. O. S. Iadlovska, G. Babakhanova, G. H. Mehl, C. Welch, E.Cruickshank, G. J. Stra-chan, J. MD. Storey, C. T. Imrie, S. V. Shiyanovskii, O. D. Lavrentovich “Temperaturedependence of bend elastic constant in oblique helicoidal cholesterics,” Physical ReviewResearch, 2: 013248, (2020).
- G. Babakhanova, O. D. Lavrentovich. “The Techniques of Surface Alignment of Liquid Crystals." In: Bulavin L., Xu L. (eds) Modern Problems of the Physics of Liquid Systems. Springer Proceedings in Physics, vol 223. Springer (2019). (Book chapter)
- G. Babakhanova, H. Yu, I. Chaganava, Q. Wei, P. Shiller, O. D. Lavrentovich. “Controlled placement of microparticles at the water-liquid crystal elastomer interface," ACS applied materials interfaces, (2019).
- B-X. Li, G. Babakhanova, R-L. Xiao, V.Borshch, S. Siemianowski, S. V. Shiyanovskii, O. D. Lavrentovich. “Microsecond electro-optic switching of nematic liquid crystals with giant dielectric anisotropy," Physical Review Applied, (2019).
- R. Saha, G. Babakhanova, Z. Parsouzi, M. Rajabi, P. Gyawali, C. Welch, G. H. Mehl, J. T. Gleeson, O. D. Lavrentovich, S. Sprunt, A. Jakli. “Oligomeric odd-even effect in liquid crystals," Materials Horizons, (2019).
- Z. Parsouzi, G. Babakhanova, R. Rajabi, M. Saha, P. Gyawali, T. Turiv, H. Wang, A. R. Baldwin, C. Welch, G. H. Mehl, J. T. Gleeson, A. Jakli, O. D. Lavrentovich, S. Sprunt. “Pretransitional behavior of viscoelastic parameters at the nematic to twist-bend nematic phase transition in exible n-mers," Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics, (2019).
- M. Mrukiewicz, O. S. Iadlovska, G. Babakhanova, S. Siemianowski, S. V. Shiyanovskii, O. D. Lavrentovich. “Wide temperature range of an electrically tunable selective reflection of light by oblique helicoidal cholesteric," Liquid Crystals,1-7, (2019).
- G. Babakhanova, A. P. H. J. Schenning, D. J. Broer, O. D. Lavrentovich. “Surface structures of hybrid aligned liquid crystal network coatings containing reverse tilt domain," Proc. SPIE, 109410I, (2019).
- JK. Guo, SH. Hong, HJ. Yoon, G. Babakhanova, O. D Lavrentovich, JK. Song. “Laser Induced Nanodroplet Injection and Recon_gurable Double Emulsions with Designed Inner Structures," Advanced Science, 1900785, (2019).
- G. Babakhanova, T. Turiv, Y. Guo, M. Hendrikx, Q-H. Wei, A. P. H. J. Schenning, D. J. Broer, O. D. Lavrentovich. “Liquid crystal elastomer coatings with programmed response of surface profile," Nature Communications, 9, 456 (2018).
- O. S. Iadlovska, G. R. Maxwell, G. Babakhanova, G. H. Mehl, C. Welch, S. V. Shiyanovskii, O. D. Lavrentovich. “Tuning selective reection of light by surface anchoring in cholesteric cells with oblique helicoidal structures," Optics Letters, (2018).
- G. Babakhanova, Z. Parsouzi, S. Paladugu, H. Wang, Yu. A. Nastishin, S. V. Shiyanovskii, S.Sprunt, O. D. Lavrentovich. “Elastic and viscous properties of the nematic dimer CB7CB," Physical Review E, 96, 062704 (2017).
- G. Cukrov*, Y.M. Golestani, J. Xiang, Yu. A. Nastishin, Z. Ahmed, C. Welch, G. H. Mehl and O. D. Lavrentovich. “Comparative analysis of anisotropic material properties of uniaxial nematics formed by exible dimers and rod-like monomers," Liquid Crystals, 1-13 (2016).
- Y. K. Kim, G. Cukrov*, Francesco Vita, Eric Scharrer, Edward T. Samulski, Oriano Francescangeli, and O. D. Lavrentovich. “Search for microscopic and macroscopic biaxiality in the cybotactic nematic phase of new oxadiazole bent-core mesogens," Phys. Rev.E, 93, 062701 (2016).
- N. Sebastin, M. G. Tamba, R. Stannarius, M. R. de la Fuente, M. Salamonczyk, G.Cukrov*, J. Gleeson, S. Sprunt, A. Jkli, C. Welch, Z. Ahmed, G. H. Mehl and A. Eremin. “Mesophase structure and behaviour in bulk and restricted geometry of a dimeric compound exhibiting a nematic-nematic transition," Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys., 18, 19299-19308 (2016).
- Y. K. Kim, G. Cukrov*, J. Xiang, S. T. Shin and O. D. Lavrentovich. “Domain walls and anchoring transitions mimicking nematic biaxiality in the oxadiazole bent-core liquid crystal C7," Soft Matter, 11, 3963-3970 (2015).
- A. Mainzer, J. Bauer, T. Grav, J. Masiero, R. M. Cutri, E. Wright, C. R. Nugent, R. Stevenson, E. Clyne, G. Cukrov, and F. Masci. “The Population of Tiny Near-Earth Objects Observed by NEOWISE”, The Astrophysical Journal, 784, 2 (2014).
- G. Cukrov*. “Using Stereo Photogrammetry to Create Digital Elevation Models of Planetary Surfaces", Proceedings of The National Conference On Undergraduate Research (NCUR), (2013).
*Formerly known as Greta Cukrov