Announcement of Federal Funding Opportunity (FFO)
This opportunity is now closed.
Update: On June 21, 2013, NIST solicited public comments relating to a Federal Funding Opportunity (FFO), anticipated in fiscal year 2014 (FY14), that will competitively fund a select number of new M-TACs. This Request for Information (RFI) sought comments relating to four primary issue areas: (1) technology transition and commercialization tools and services that should be provided by M-TACs; (2) M-TAC roles relating to supply chain needs; (3) potential business models for M-TACs; and (4) M-TAC performance and impact metrics. In addition, NIST sought comments relating to other critical issues that NIST should consider in its strategic planning for future M-TAC investments. The comment open period closed on August 5, 2013.
In total, NIST received twenty-three (23) separate responses to the RFI from industry, nonprofit organizations, MEP affiliate centers, academia and university centers, and economic development organizations, representing the viewpoints of twenty-six (26) separate entities. To view the RFI responses that were submitted to NIST, please click the name of the submitting organizations below.
- Advantage Kentucky Alliance
- American Foundry Society
- American Small Manufacturers Coalition
- California Manufacturing Technology Consulting
- Catalyst Connection
- Delaware Valley Industrial Resource Center
- Empire State Development/NYSTAR, FUZEHUB, and Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
- High Tech Rochester
- Hudson Valley Technology Development Center
- Industrial + Technology Assistance Corporation
- Long Island Forum for Technology
- Massachusetts Manufacturing Extension Partnership
- Michigan Manufacturing Technology Center
- National Center for Manufacturing Sciences
- Oregon Manufacturing Extension Partnership
- Pennsylvania Department of Community and Economic Development
- Polymer Ohio
- Puerto Rico Manufacturing Extension
- RTI International
- South Carolina Manufacturing Extension Partnership
- University of Michigan
- University of Wisconsin-Stout Manufacturing Outreach Center
Announcement of Extension for Comment: NIST originally set a comment due date of July 22, 2013. However, in order to provide all interested parties the opportunity to submit comments, NIST is extending the solicitation period until Monday, August 5, 2013. Proposals received between July 22, 2013 and the publication date of this notice of extension shall be deemed timely and will be given full consideration. Persons who submitted comments between July 22, 2013 and the date of publication of this notice need not resubmit their comments. During the extended solicitation period, NIST will accept only comments submitted via email. View the Extension of Comment announcement.
Annoucement of Request for Information: The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) invites interested parties to comment on NIST's planning for a Federal Funding Opportunity (FFO), anticipated in fiscal year 2014 (FY14), that will competitively fund a select number of new Manufacturing Technology Acceleration Centers (M-TACs).
The M-TACs will focus on addressing the technical and business challenges encountered by small and mid-sized U.S. manufacturers as they attempt to integrate, adopt, transition, and commercialize both existing and emerging product and process technologies into their operations to help them grow and compete within manufacturing supply chains as innovative, value-adding components of our nation's economy.
M-TACs will amplify the effectiveness of the current Hollings Manufacturing Extension Partnership (MEP) network, establishing teams of experts in specific technology/supply chains, offering multiple services and deep expertise through the national MEP network.
This Request For Information (RFI) seeks comments relating to four primary issue areas:
- (1) technology transition and commercialization tools and services that should be provided by M-TACs;
- (2) M-TAC roles relating to supply chain needs;
- (3) potential business models for M-TACs; and
- (4) M-TAC performance and impact metrics. In addition, NIST seeks comments relating to other critical issues that NIST should consider in its strategic planning for future M-TAC investments.
To view the full Request for information from the Federal Register notice, please click here.
*Comments are due on or before 11:59 p.m. Eastern Time on July 22, 2013. Comments will be accepted by e-mail only. Comments must be sent to email@example.com with the subject line "M-TAC RFI Comments."
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Please submit questions regarding this request for information to Diane Henderson @ firstname.lastname@example.org
Strengthening manufacturing supply chains through the Manufacturing Extension Partnership (MEP) - The President's 2014 Budget proposes a $25 million increase for MEP to launch a series of Manufacturing Technology Acceleration Centers (M-TACs). M-TACs will be industry-specific centers that can serve as coordination points within key supply chains to assist small manufacturers in technology transition and commercialization efforts that are critical to their success within these supply chains. MEP has published a Request for Information (RFI) seeking public comment to inform the creation of the M-TACs. Additionally, the Administration is also announcing plans to pilot two new centers in 2013 using existing resources.