Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.

Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock ( ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

Veterans Benefits as Federal Employees


For non-retired military members, full credit for uniformed service (including active duty and active duty for training) performed under honorable conditions is given for retirement purposes.  To receive credit for military service, generally, a Federally employed veteran must deposit 3% of your military base pay.  Interest begins 2 years after a veteran is hired.

Credit for uniformed service is substantially limited for retired members.  In order to receive credit for military service, an employee must waive military retired pay unless the retired pay is awarded based on a service-connected disability incurred in combat with an enemy of the United States or caused by an instrumentality of war and incurred in the line of duty during a period of war as defined by 38 U.S.C. 301, or awarded under 10 U.S.C. chapter 1223 (previously chapter 67).  Also see the following note on credit for National Guard Service.

Note:  Service in the National Guard, except when ordered to active duty in the service of the United States, is generally not creditable.  However, you may receive credit for National Guard service, followed by Federal civilian reemployment that occurs after August 1, 1990, when the following conditions are met:

  • The service must interrupt civilian service creditable under the Civil Service Retirement System (FERS) and be followed by reemployment in accordance with the appropriate chapter of the laws concerning veterans benefits; and
  • It must be full-time (and not inactive duty), and performed by a member of the U.S. Army National Guard, or U.S. Air National Guard; and
  • It must be under a specified law and you must be entitled to pay from the U.S. (or have waived pay from the U.S.) for the service.

The deposit for National Guard service that meets these criteria is limited to the amount that would have been deducted from your pay for retirement if you had remained in the civilian service.

If you are retired military, you can use your uniformed service towards civilian retirement by making a 7 percent deposit to the retirement fund and waiving your military retirement pay at your civilian retirement.  If you want to keep your military retirement pay, you cannot use the military service towards civilian retirement.

Below are the offices that compute the estimated earnings:

Contact Information for Computation of Estimated Earnings

Service Address Phone/Fax/Email
Army DFAS-Indianapolis Center
Army Military Pay Operations
Attn: Verifications Section
(Estimated Earnings)
8899 East 56th Street
Indianapolis, IN  46249-0875
Phone:  (317) 510-2813
Fax:  (317) 275-0123
Navy DFAS-Cleveland Center
1240 East 9th Street
Cleveland, OH  44199-2005
Phone:  1-888-332-7411
Fax: (216) 522-5060
Email: CCL-CATCH-62 [at] DFAS.MIL (CCL-CATCH-62[at]DFAS[dot]MIL)
US Marine Corps DFAS-Cleveland Center
1240 E. 9th Street
Cleveland, OH  44199-2005
Phone:  (216) 522-5640
Fax:  (216) 522-5060
Email:  CCL-CATCH-62 [at] DFAS.MIL (CCL-CATCH-62[at]DFAS[dot]MIL)
Air Force DFAS-Denver Center
(Estimated Earnings)
6760 East Irvington Place
Denver, CO  80279-3000
Phone:  (303) 676-7408
Fax:  (303) 676-4278

(Emergency requests only - deaths/short notice retirements)
**Please send routine requests to the address shown to the left**

National Ooceanic & Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) NOAA Commissioned Personnel Center
1315 East-West Highway, Rm. 12100
Silver Spring, MD  20910-3282
Coast Guard Pay & Personnel Center 444 Southeast Quincy Street
Topeka, KS  66683-3591
Phone:  (785) 339-2200
Fax:  (785) 339-3784
Public Health Service
Division of Commissioned Personnel
Compensation Branch
Parklawn Building, Rm. 4-50
5600 Fisher's Lane
Rockville, MD  20857
Phone:  (301) 594-2963
Fax: (301) 443-0064
Air National Guard Please contact the ANG Unit you separated from. N/A
Air Force Reserve HQ ARPC
(Estimated Earnings)
6760 East Irvington Place
Denver, CO  80280-4000
1-800-525-0102, x. 6211/6727

For more DoD pay information, contact DFAS at

Thrift Savings Plan

If you had a Thrift Savings Plan account while serving in the military, you may be able to merge most of your account balance after you establish a civilian account.  Tax-exempt balances (contributions from combat zone pay) cannot be transferred to your civilian account.  After you have served your new employee waiting period, you become eligible to receive Agency Automatic (1 percent) contributions and Agency Matching contributions (up to 5 percent).

Annual Leave

If you have separated from the military (but not retired), you receive full annual leave credit for service performed under honorable conditions.  If you are retired military, you are generally not eligible for annual leave accrual credit.  However, you may be eligible for higher annual leave accrual if appointed in a mission critical occupation.

Reduction-in-Force (RIF) Retention Standing

Employees are ranked on retention registers for competitive levels (groups of similar jobs) based on four factors:  tenure, veterans' preference, length of service, and performance.

Created June 26, 2009, Updated March 1, 2018