The following documents are under consideration for placement on the OSAC Registry, along with their status in the OSAC Registry approval processes.
OSAC Registry Approval Process for SDO Published Standards
Open for Comment: During the open comment period, OSAC provides forensic science stakeholders an opportunity to offer their feedback on whether an SDO published standard should be placed on the Registry. For a list of standards currently open for comment, please see the Standards Open for Comment webpage.
In Comment Adjudication: If any negative comments are received during the open comment period, OSAC committees will address them during the comment adjudication phase. The following SDO published standards are currently in this phase:
dogs & sensors
- ANSI/ASB Standard 024, Standard for Training and Certification of Canine Detection of Humans: Location Check Using Pre-Scented Canines, First Edition, 2021.
- ANSI/ASB Standard 026, Standard for Training and Certification for Canine Detection of Humans: An Aged Trail Using Pre-Scented Canines, First Edition, 2021.
- ANSI/ASB Standard 027, Standard for Training and Certification of Canine Detection of Humans: Patrol Canine Team, First Edition, 2021.
Fire & Explosion investigation
- NFPA 921:21 Guide for Fire and Explosion Investigation.
- NFPA 1033:2022 Standard for Professional Qualifications for Fire Investigators.
Firearms & toolmarks
- ANSI/ASB Standard 062, Standard for Topography Comparison Software for Toolmark Analysis, First Edition, 2021.
- ANSI/ASB Standard 063, Implementation of 3D Technologies in Forensic Firearm and Toolmark Comparison Laboratories, First Edition, 2021.
Footwear & Tire
- ANSI/ASB Technical Report 051, Scope of Work for a Footwear/Tire Examiner, First Edition, 2020.
- ANSI/ASB Standard 090, Standard for Sex Estimation in Forensic Anthropology, First Edition, 2019.
forensic document examination
- ANSI/ASB Standard 044, Standard for Examination of Documents for Indentations, First Edition, 2019.
- ANSI/ASB Standard 054, Standard for a Quality Control Program in Forensic Toxicology Laboratories, First Edition, 2021.
- ANSI/ASB Standard 119, Standard for the Analytical Scope and Sensitivity of Forensic Toxicological Testing of Blood in Medicolegal Death Investigation, First Edition, 2021.
- ANSI/ASB Standard 120, Standard for the Analytical Scope and Sensitivity of Forensic Toxicological Testing of Blood in Impaired Driving Investigations, First Edition, 2021.
- ANSI/ASB Standard 152, Standard for the Minimum Content Requirements of Forensic Toxicology Procedures, First Edition, 2021.
ignitable liquids, explosives, & Gunshot residue
- ASTM E3196-21 Standard Terminology Relating to the Examination of Explosives.
- ASTM E3253-21 Standard Practice for Establishing an Examination Scheme for Intact Explosives.
- ASTM E3329-21 Standard Practice for Establishing an Examination Scheme for Explosive Residues.
- ASTM E3296-22 Standard Guide for Using Pyrolysis Gas Chromatography and Pyrolysis Gas Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry in Forensic Polymer Examinations.
At the Forensic Science Standards Board (FSSB) for Review to Add to Registry: After all comments have been addressed, the FSSB will have an opportunity to petition for a discretionary FSSB review. The following standards are currently at the FSSB for review:
- ASTM E3235-21 Standard Practice for Latent Print Evidence Imaging Resolution.
Registry Approval Process for OSAC Proposed Standards
Open for Comment: OSAC provides forensic science stakeholders an opportunity to suggest revisions to a draft standard and offer their feedback on whether it should be included on the Registry as an "OSAC Proposed Standard". For a list of OSAC Proposed Standards currently open for comment, please see the Standards Open for Comment webpage.
In Comment Adjudication: OSAC subcommittees will review and address any comments that were received during the open comment period. The following OSAC Proposed Standards are currently in the comment adjudication phase:
- OSAC 2021-S-0021, Forensic Autosomal STR DNA Statistical Analyses-General Protocol, Protocol Verification, and Case Record Requirements.
- OSAC 2021-S-0028, Standard for Use of Serological Testing Methods Associated with Forensic Investigations.
- OSAC 2021-S-0029, Standard for Familial DNA Searching.
- OSAC 2022-S-0024, Best Practice Recommendations for Evaluative Forensic DNA Testimony.
bloodstain pattern analysis
- OSAC 2021-S-0011, Standards for the Technical Review of Bloodstain Pattern Analysis Reporting.
- OSAC 2022-N-0010, Standards for Development of an Accredited Bloodstain Pattern Analyst Certification Program.
- OSAC 2022-S-0030, Standard for Methodology in Bloodstain Pattern Analysis.
crime scene investigation & reconstruction
- OSAC 2021-N-0018, Standard for On-Scene Collection and Preservation of Physical Evidence.
- OSAC 2021-N-0019, Standard Practice for the Documentation and Processing of Shooting Scenes.
- OSAC 2022-N-0025, Standard for Initial Response at Scenes by Scene Investigators.
- OSAC 2021-N-0025, Standard Guide for Printing Method Effects on Facial Comparisons.
- OSAC 2021-N-0035, Standard Guide for Scanning Facial Images for Manual Comparison.
- OSAC 2022-S-0007, Standard Guide for Facial Comparison Overview and Methodology Guidelines.
- OSAC 2022-S-0008, Standard Guide for Minimum Facial Comparison Documentation.
firearms & Toolmarks
- OSAC 2021-N-0012, Requirements and Recommendations for a Firearm and Toolmark Examiner Training Program.
- OSAC 2020-N-0006, Standard for Qualifications in the Practice of Forensic Anthropology.
- OSAC 2021-N-0010, Best Practice Recommendation for Skeletal Preparation and Sampling in Forensic Anthropology.
- OSAC 2022-N-0028, Human Abuse Recognition and Documentation by Dental Professionals.
- OSAC 2022-N-0033, Standard for Processing Evidence for the Detection of Friction Ridge Impressions.
Ignitable liquids, explosives &gunshot residue
- OSAC 2022-S-0002, Standard Practice for the Analysis of Organic Gunshot Residue by Gas Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry (GC-MS).
- OSAC 2022-S-0003, Standard Practice for the Analysis of Organic Gunshot Residue by Liquid Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry (LC-MS).
- OSAC 2022-S-0023, Standard Practice for the Forensic Analysis of Explosives by Polarized Light Microscopy.
medicolegal death investigation
- OSAC 2022-N-0026, Medicolegal Death Investigation: Terms and Definitions.
- OSAC 2022-N-0027, Medicolegal Death Investigation Response to Death Locations and Incident Scenes: Best Practice Recommendations.
- OSAC 2022-S-0013, Standard Guide for Testimony by Forensic Science Practitioners Offering Expert Testimony in Seized Drugs Analysis.
- OSAC 2022-S-0015, Standard Guide for Forensic Physical Fit Examination.
- OSAC 2022-S-0017, Standard Guide for Microspectrophotometry in Forensic Fiber Analysis.
- OSAC 2022-N-0018, Standard Practice for a Forensic Fiber Training Program.
- OSAC 2022-S-0019, Standard Guide for Forensic Examination of Fibers.
- OSAC 2022-S-0029, Standard Guide for Interpretation and Reporting in Forensic Comparisons of Trace Materials.
video/imaging technology & analysis
- OSAC 2021-S-0027, Standard Guide for Laboratory Photography.
- OSAC 2021-S-0036, Standard Guide for Image Authentication.
- OSAC 2021-S-0037, Standard Guide for Forensic Photogrammetry.
wildlife forensic biology
- OSAC 2021-S-0014, Standard for Reference Collections in Wildlife Forensic Biology: Genetics and Vertebrate Morphology.
- OSAC 2022-S-0011, Standards for Construction of Multilocus Databases.
At the FSSB for Review: After the subcommittee reviews and adjudicates the comments received during the open comment period, the FSSB has an opportunity to review and appeal adding an OSAC Proposed Standard to the Registry. The following standards are being reviewed by the FSSB:
- OSAC 2022-S-0012, Standard for Proficiency Testing in Friction Ridge Examination.