The U.S. Department of Homeland Security has requested establishment of the Biometrics Laboratory Accreditation Program (Biometrics LAP) by the National Voluntary Laboratory Accreditation Program (NVLAP) to accredit laboratories that perform conformance testing, interoperability testing, technology testing, scenario testing, and operational and usability testing for biometrics products (systems and subsystems) as defined in nationally and internationally recognized biometrics products testing standards of biometric systems and subsystems. The program will offer accreditation only in the areas where a need was expressed and the requirements have been provided, but it is designed to easily expand and accommodate requirements from any interested governmental agency or the private sector.
Laboratory accreditation requirements are derived from the elected scope(s) of accreditation. NIST Handbook 150 and NIST Handbook 150-25 govern the general and specific technical requirements for accreditation under the Biometrics LAP. Each scope of accreditation has at least one test method associated with it. NVLAP reserves the right to update, modify or rename the set of test methods associated with any scope of accreditation.
Proficiency Testing Requirements
At the present time, there are no required proficiency testing programs for biometrics testing.
- NIST Handbook 150:2016, NVLAP Procedures and General Requirements
- NIST Handbook 150-25:2009, NVLAP Biometrics Testing
- NIST Handbook 150-25 Checklist (Word version)
- Lab Bulletin LB-43-2009: Release of NIST Handbook 150-25, 2009 Edition
References and Information
- FR Doc. No.: E8–28376, Announcement of the Establishment of LAP for Laboratories Performing Biometrics Testing Under NVLAP & Technical Requirements for Such a LAP
- NIST/ITL CSD Biometric Conformance Test Software (BioCTS)
- INCITS M1