Applicants must complete and submit an online application form on the NIST forensic science website. The form allows applicants to select a first- and second-choice committee or subcommittee of interest.
- NIST accepts applications for participation in OSAC on a continuous basis.
- With the exception of invited guests, all participants in OSAC must complete the application form.
- OSAC Members and Affiliates will be selected only from the pool of applicants.
- OSAC Task Groups will be populated by Members or a combination of Members and Affiliates.
- SAC Chairs will sit on the Forensic Science Standards Board
- Subcommittee chairs sit on their relevant SACs
- SAC chairs cannot be subcommittee chairs
Membership Commitment Requirements
All positions on the OSAC will be staggered 3-year terms with the initial members serving 2-, 3- and 4-year terms. It is anticipated that the FSSB, resource committees, SACs, and subcommittees will conduct business using both in-person and virtual meetings. The FSSB, SACs, and subcommittees will conduct at least one in-person meeting per year. NIST will pay travel, lodging, and per diem expenses for members.
Virtual meetings will occur periodically to accomplish the objectives of all committees and subcommittees and are expected to require a total of 5 days or less throughout the year. Other time commitments include reviewing and editing documents on a periodic basis.
Virtual meetings and virtual training will be held prior to in-person meetings to ensure members are knowledgeable of their duties and OSAC processes. Please visit the OSAC Newsroom page for the latest updates.