The Crime Scene Investigation & Reconstruction Subcommittee supports development of standards and guidance for crime scene investigations.
Officers | Members | Standards | Other Work Products
Charles S. DeFrance, Subcommittee Chair, Federal Bureau of Investigation
Jeffery Tomberlin, Subcommittee Vice Chair, Texas A&M University
Kimberlee Sue Moran, Subcommittee Executive Secretary, Rutgers University - Camden
Tony Becker, Forensic Training Group, LLC
Richard Carter, Jr., U.S. Postal Inspection Service
Jeremy Chappell, Kansas City Police Crime Laboratory
Karen Green, Green Forensics Inc.
Jason Keller, Naval Criminal Investigative Service
Matthew Noedel, Noedel Scientific
Clint Norris, New Mexico State Police
Jane Northrop, Rhode Island State Police (Quality Task Group member)
Kevin Parmelee, Somerset County Prosecutor's Office (NJ)
Maria Pettolina, University of Northern Colorado
Ronald Reinstein, Arizona Supreme Court (Legal Task Group member)
Kimberley Shapiro, San Bernardino County Sheriff - Scientific
Michele Smith, Louisiana State Police Crime Laboratory
Martha Smith-Blackmore, DVM, Forensic Veterinary Investigations, LLC
Barbara Spellman, University of Virginia (Human Factors Task Group member)
Troy E. Wilson, Texas Department of Public Safety
Andrea Zaferes, Dutchess County Medical Examiner
Neil Zielinski, Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office
Published by a Standards Developing Organization (SDO)
- ASTM E620-11(18) Standard Practice for Reporting Opinions of Scientific or Technical Experts.
- ASTM E860-07(13)e2 Standard Practice for Examining and Preparing Items that are or may Become Involved in Criminal or Civil Litigation.
- ASTM E1020-13e1 Standard Practice for Reporting Incidents that may Involve Criminal or Civil Litigation.
- ASTM E1188-11(17) Standard Practice for Collection and Preservation of Information and Physical Items by a Technical Investigator.
- ASTM E1459-13(18) Standard Guide for Physical Evidence Labeling and Related Documentation.
note: Criminal justice agencies can access the astm standards above by visiting the access to standards webpage.
Sent to an SDO
OSAC 2021-N-0015, Guiding Principles for Scene Investigation and Reconstruction.
OSAC Proposed Standard on the Registry (added September 7, 2021 and sent to asb for further development and publication).
OSAC 2021-N-0016, Standard for Initial Response at Scenes by Law Enforcement.
osac proposed standard on the registry (added september 7, 2021 and sent to asb for further development and publication).
- Standard Practice for Crime Scene Investigator Training, Continuing Education, Professional Development, Certification, and Accreditation.
- Standard Guide for Sexual Violent Investigation, Examination, and Evidence.
- Standard Practice for Transmittal of Evidence in Sexual Violence Investigation.
- Standard Practice for Specification for Equipment and Supplies in Sexual Assault Investigations.
- OSAC 2021-N-0018, Standard for On-Scene Collection and Preservation of Physical Evidence.
- OSAC 2021-N-0019, Standard Practice for the Documentation and Processing of Shooting Scenes.
- OSAC 2022-N-0025, Standard for Initial Response at Scenes by Law Enforcement (draft OSAC Proposed Standard currently open for comment).
- Standard Practice for Crime Scene Reconstruction.
- Standard Practice for the Documentation and Processing of Animal Cruelty Scenes.
- Standard for the Examination of the Live Animals Suspected to be Impacted by Cruelty to Animals.
- Standard Practice for Crime Scene Metrology.
- Standard Guide for Quality Management in Crime Scene Investigation.
- Standard Practice for the Collection and Preservation of Biological Materials.
- Standard Method for the Chemical Testing of Suspected Projectile Impacts.
- Standard Method for the Measurement of Trajectory Angles with a Protractor.
- Collection and Preservation of Entomological Evidence during Forensic Investigations.
- Standard for Entomological Sample Processing for Molecular Analysis.
- Standard for the Collection and Preservation of Questioned Document Related Evidence.
- Standard Practice for the Collection of Primer Gunshot Residue Particles from Clothing, Vehicles and Other Objects Using Adhesive Lifters.
- Standard for the Documentation of Scenes by Crime Scene Investigators.
Research & Development Needs
Webinars, Presentations & Training Videos
- OSAC Overview and CSI Subcommittee Update, 2020 Virtual Educational Conference of the Chesapeake Bay Division of the International Association for Identification (CBDIAI), September 24, 2020.
- OSAC Overview and CSI Subcommittee Update, New England Division of the International Association for Identification (IAI) Meeting, December 4, 2019.
- OSAC CSI Subcommittee and Interdisciplinary Standards Update, IAI Conference, August 2019.
- OSAC CSI Subcommittee Update, Texas Division of the IAI, June 13, 2019.
- NIST OSAC CSI Subcommittee Update, Colorado Forensic Investigators Group (COFIG), March 27, 2019.
- NIST OSAC CSI Subcommittee Update, IAI Conference, August 2018.
- NIST OSAC CSI Subcommittee Overview & Update, International Crime Scene Investigators Association's 2018 CSI Conference, May 16, 2018.