Internet & Scalable Systems Metrology
The ISSMG works with industry to improve the quality and timeliness of emerging standard specifications for next-generation Internet technologies and distributed information systems. The emphasis of the group is on innovating and applying advanced measurement science to increase the trustworthiness and expand the applicability of potentially disruptive Internet technologies.
- antd Expand or Collapse
- How to Work With Us Expand or Collapse
- Internet & Scalable Systems Research
- Publications Expand or Collapse
Evolving the Core Infrastructure of the Internet
Internet technologies are vital, as they provide a technical basis for most of systems (information, transportation, manufacturing, communications, defense, Government, education, entertainment, etc) that underlie our lives.
- The Internet is at a crossroads as the viability of several of its most basic infrastructural technologies (routing, naming and addressing) are threatened by inherent robustness vulnerabilities and scaling problems.
- NIST is engaged in three critical efforts aimed at fundamentally changing the structure/services of the Internet to address these threats:
- Internet Infrastructure Protection (IIP).
- Next Generation Internet Technologies (NGI).
- Measurement Science for Complex Information Systems (CxS).
- Fostering New Network Technology - The ISSMG works with industry to improve the quality and timeliness of emerging specifications and early implementations of next-generation Internet technologies and distributed information systems.
- Advancing Network Metrology - The emphasis of the group is on innovating and applying advanced measurement science to increase the robustness and expand the applicability of potentially disruptive Internet technologies.
- Competencies of the group include: modeling and analysis of emerging Internet technologies, measurement science for scalable information systems, design and evaluation of advanced network test and measurement techniques, and rapid prototyping and empirical measurement of early protocol designs.
- Our efforts focuses on Internet Scale problems, solutions and measurement techniques.
ISSMG Techniques / Competencies:
- Analytical, Simulation & Emulation Modeling.
- Internet scale modeling for performance, scalability, vulnerability, robustness.
- Protocol Design, Analysis and Standardization
- Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF).
- Internet Scale Measurement and Data Analysis.
- Measurement and monitoring of Internet infrastructure.
- Collaboration with various large scale measurement activities.
- Rapid Prototyping.
- Open source reference implementations of emerging specifications.
- Deployment guidance / profiles.
- Fostering commercial acquisition and deployment
- Test and Evaluation of Emerging Implementations
- Test tools designed to assist implementers and early adopters.
- Accredited testing laboratories for formal product interoperability and conformance.