About the Program
The new NIST-wide Professional Research Experience Program (PREP) is designed to provide valuable laboratory experience and financial assistance to undergraduate, graduate and post-graduate students. Fellowships are awarded to assure continued growth and progress of science and engineering in the United States.
Areas of Research
The areas of research will include the following disciplines (but not limited to): biochemistry, biological sciences, chemistry, computer science, engineering, electronics, materials science, mathematics, nanoscale science, neutron science, physical sciences, physics, and statistics.
Please see NIST’s webpages for general descriptions and to learn about the multi-disciplinary nature of the NIST laboratories and laboratory facilities.
- Communications Technology Laboratory (CTL)
- Engineering Laboratory (EL)
- Information Technology Laboratory (ITL)
- Material Measurement Laboratory (MML)
- Physical Measurement Laboratory (PML)
- Center for Neutron Research (NCNR)
- Center for Nanoscale Science and Technology (CNST)
All the laboratories identified above will participate in the NIST-wide PREP.
NIST PREP will offer institutions of higher education collaborative opportunities throughout the NIST laboratories and user facilities. There will be two sub-programs:
- PREP operating on the Boulder, Colorado, campus (PREP Boulder); and
- PREP operating on the Gaithersburg, Maryland, Campus (PREP Gaithersburg, which also covers operations in Charleston, South Carolina)
Funding Opportunity Description
NIST is soliciting applications from eligible institutions of higher education in the U.S. and its territories that offer two- or four-year degrees in academic science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) disciplines, as described above, to establish and manage a program to support collaborative research relationships among NIST staff, undergraduate and graduate students, individual with bachelors’ or master’s degrees, post-doctoral fellows, and academic affiliate (PREP researchers) and their academic institutions. The Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO) for the new NIST-PREP is found here .