Finalists for the 2017 Baldrige Award—that is, those 14 U.S. organizations that received site visits this fall as part of the rigorous evaluation process—have been the focus of several day-long discussions this week among 11 judges. They are members of the 2017 judging panel for the prestigious annual award. (Their group is officially called the Judges Panel of the Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award).
Meanwhile, applicant organizations’ leaders and many others are eager to find out who will be named as 2017 Baldrige Award winners; that news will be made public this month in an announcement by U.S. Secretary of Commerce Wilbur Ross. For businesses, health care organizations, nonprofits, and education organizations striving for excellence, this is an exciting time!
So who are the people judging organizations for the nation’s highest award for performance excellence? Their photos and professional titles are listed on the Baldrige Performance Excellence Program’s website. In addition, nine of the 2017 panel members participated in interviews for Blogrige in recent years. Since this Baldrige blog migrated to a new site last week, I am listing all those interviews below for readers’ convenience:
The following interviews share the perspectives of three of the four newest judges, whose three-year appointments to the panel started earlier this year:
- Baldrige Award Judges’ Panel: Interview with New Member Eric Fletcher
- Baldrige Award Judges’ Panel: Interview with New Member Mary Kay Fyda-Mar (also see the recent blog In Memoriam: Mary Kay Fyda-Mar)
- Baldrige Award Judges' Panel: Interview with New Member John Molenda
Next, these interviews profile two of the four current judges who joined the panel in 2016 for three-year terms:
- Baldrige Award Judges' Panel: Interview with New Member Tammy Dye
- Focus on the 2016 Judges’ Panel: Major General John C. Harris, Jr.
And these four interviews focus on the four current judges who started their three-year terms in 2015:
- Focus on the 2015 Judges’ Panel: Dr. Ken Davis
- Focus on the 2015 Judges’ Panel: Dr. Greg Gibson
- Focus on the 2015 Judges' Panel: Miriam Kmetzo
- Focus on the 2015 Judges’ Panel: Dr. John C. Timmerman (current chair of the judges’ panel)
Finally, these blogs describe share accomplishments or insights of four of the judges on the 2017 panel:
- A School Board Improves Its Focus Using the Baldrige Framework (Dr. Greg Gibson)
- A Focus on Quality in China (Miriam Kmetzo)
- Tips from Baldrige Award-Winning Health Organizations (Tammy Dye)
- Insights from an Innovator of Customer-Focused Excellence (Dr. John Timmerman)
- Delivering on Brand Promise (Dr. John Timmerman)