- Forensics Expand or Collapse
- Research Expand or Collapse
- Reference Materials, Standards, and Guidelines Expand or Collapse
- Working Groups Expand or Collapse
- Organization of Scientific Area Committees (OSAC)
- National Commission on Forensic Science
- Conferences and Events
- Sign up for E-Mail Updates
What We Do
Biological evidence often contains a tremendous amount of information that that is useful in solving crimes. Forensic biologists can detect minute quantities of blood or semen left on clothing, weapons, and other objects and can link that evidence to individuals through DNA analysis.
NIST has played an important role in the historical development of forensic DNA analysis. In addition, we support accurate and reliable DNA typing by producing standard reference materials used in calibrating instruments, by characterizing forensically relevant genetic markers, and by assessing emerging technologies such as next generation sequencing.