B. Robert Ilic is the Acting NanoFab Manager and a Project Leader in the Nanofabrication Research Group. He received a B.S. in Engineering Physics from the University of Illinois at Chicago and a Ph.D. in Applied Physics from Cornell University. Before coming to the CNST, he worked as a Research Associate and User Program Manager at the Cornell Nanoscale Science and Technology Facility, where he was involved in a range of engineering, physical, and life science research. His research has included developing nanofabrication technologies for building fully integrated molecular scale devices; using microelectromechanical and nanoelectromechanical sensors for chemical and biological applications; building integrated fluidic/optical/mechanical devices; studying fluid-structure interactions; and building custom scanning probes. He has published over 180 peer-reviewed papers in journals such as Journal of Applied Physics, Applied Physics Letters, Physical Review Letters, Nano Letters, and Nature Nanotechnology. Rob is developing novel scanning probe measurement systems and pursuing measurement methods to interrogate complex nanofabricated architectures, nanostructured dynamical systems, and fluid structure interactions.
- Label-free biomarker detection from whole blood, E. Stern, A. Vacic, N. K. Rajan, J. M. Criscione, J. Park, B. R. Ilic, D. J. Mooney, M. A. Reed, and T. M. Fahmy, Nature Nanotechnology 5, 138–142 (2010).
- Enumeration of DNA molecules bound to a nanomechanical oscillator, B. Ilic, Y. Yang, K. Aubin, R. Reichenbach, S. Krylov, and H. G. Craighead, Nano Letters 5, 925–929 (2005).
- Virus detection using nanoelectromechanical devices, B. Ilic, Y. Yang, and H. G. Craighead, Applied Physics Letters 85, 2604–2606 (2004).
- Attogram detection using nanoelectromechanical oscillators, B. Ilic, H. G. Craighead, S. Krylov, W. Senaratne, C. Ober, and P. Neuzil, Journal of Applied Physics 95, 3694–3703 (2004).
- Single cell detection with micromechanical oscillators, B. Ilic, D. Czaplewski, M. Zalalutdinov, H. G. Craighead, P. Neuzil, C. Campagnolo, and C. Batt, Journal of Vacuum Science & Technology B 19, 2825–2828 (2001).
- Mechanical resonant immunospecific biological detector, B. Ilic, D. Czaplewski, H. G. Craighead, P. Neuzil, C. Campagnolo, and C. Batt, Applied Physics Letters 77, 450–452 (2000).