Statistical Engineering Division
The Statistical Engineering Division (SED), founded in 1946, develops and applies statistical and probabilistic methods and techniques supporting research in measurement science, technology, and the production of standard reference materials.
- SED Expand or Collapse
- Projects/Programs Expand or Collapse
- How to Work With Us
- NIST Publications Searchable Database
- Staff Directory
- Topic Areas Expand or Collapse
- Products & Services Expand or Collapse
The Statistical Engineering Division is one of seven technical divisions in the Information Technology Laboratory. The Statistical Engineering Division:
- Develops and applies best practices for the characterization of measurement uncertainty, in particular to enable the intercomparison of measurements in the context of interlaboratory studies and calibrations;implements methods and techniques for experimental design, data analysis, statistical modeling and probabilistic inference in computer software.
- Disseminates such methods and techniques throughout U.S. industry, and the scientific and academic communities at large, by publishing technical and educational materials in print and on-line, by offering training courses and workshops, and by participating in professional conferences.
- Conducts fundamental and applied statistical research on problems in metrology and collaborates on research in other Divisions of ITL, in other Laboratories of NIST and with NIST's industrial partners.
Read more about the Statistical Engineering Division's Mission and Roles