Learn more about us from our video, Making Connections.
The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) Summer Institute for Middle School Science Teachers is a two-week workshop for middle school science teachers featuring hands-on activities, lectures, tours, and visits with NIST scientists and engineers in their laboratories.
Teachers who participate in the NIST Summer Institute gain:
- Increased understanding of the subjects they teach
- Increased understanding of how scientific research is performed
- Materials and resources to implement what they learned at NIST in their classrooms
- Increased enthusiasm for science
- A network of scientists and engineers at NIST with whom to consult
Teachers finish the NIST Summer Institute with a wealth of new knowledge about core topics such as forensics and materials science, and materials to integrate these topics into their classroom while meeting curriculum standards.