On Monday, November 13, 2017, the First Annual National Cybersecurity Career Awareness Week began with a kick-off event at the National Cybersecurity Center of Excellence. The event featured experts who spoke about how the cybersecurity community can effectively reach and encourage more students to consider a future career in cybersecurity, how career development strategies can be utilized for college graduates seeking to land their first cybersecurity position and how current workers can transition into this exciting field. The National Cybersecurity Career Awareness Week Cybersecurity Challenge was also launched to ignite interest in cybersecurity careers by enabling participants to test drive cybersecurity careers with a free online cybersecurity career exploration platform.
Mid-week, NICE hosted a webinar in observance of National Cybersecurity Career Awareness Week and National Apprenticeship Week titled “A Path to Obtaining Cybersecurity Work Experience: Internships, Cooperative Education, and Apprenticeships”. Listen to the webinar recording here.
To wrap up the week-long celebration, on Saturday, November 18, 2017, between the hours of 10:00 am and 2:00 pm, staff was on-site at the National Cryptologic Museum in Annapolis Junction, MD to talk about careers in cybersecurity. The public was invited to explore the museum, participate in hands-on activities and demonstrations, and learn more about the opportunities that can be found by exploring cybersecurity as a field of study or career choice.
See below for the full list of daily activities and learn more at nist.gov/nice/nccaw
- Day 1: November 13, 2017 - Kickoff Event: Career Opportunities in Cybersecurity
- Day 2: November 14, 2017 – Increasing Career Awareness of women, minorities, veterans, persons with disabilities, and other underrepresented populations in the cybersecurity workforce
- Day 3: November 15, 2017 – Webinar highlighting Innovative Educational Approaches: Nontraditional Pathways of Apprenticeship and Cooperative Education
- Day 4: November 16, 2017 – Infusing Cybersecurity Across the Education Portfolio
- Day 5: November 17, 2017 – Identifying Academic and Career Pathways
- Day 6: November 18, 2017 – Increase Career Awareness through Informal Activities