This 2.5 hour webinar will provide an overview on how the U.S. Constitution, the Bill of Rights, Laws, and Court decisions control how weights and measures inspections must be conducted. You will learn about the powers and duties of the Director and the special police powers of an official, as outlined in NIST Handbook 130, Uniform Weights and Measures Law. Topics include a checklist for “opening” and “closing” an inspection; consent; search and seizures under the 4th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution; defining evidence and provide suggestions on collecting, protecting and using it to support enforcement actions evidence; enforcement actions and recommended compliance procedures; and model guidelines for the administrative review process.
After this webinar, participants will be able to:
- Recognize and identify how the U.S. Constitution, the Bill of Rights, Laws, and Court decisions control how weights and measures inspections must be conducted.
- Define evidence and describe suggestions on collecting, protecting and using it to support enforcement actions.
- Define and explain “Inform-Warn-Action” procedures that help provide due process and which promote voluntary compliance.
Materials & Supplies
There are no prerequisites for this webinar.
In order to receive a digital Certificate of Attendance, students must be in attendance for the entire webinar.
Weights and Measures Officials and Industry.
The Office of Weights and Measures (OWM) online webinar training fees have been waived and are currently available free of charge. In person Seminar fees have not changed. OWM encourages our community to participate in this professional development opportunity to build and extend their technical skills. For more information on OWM training fees, please click here.
Phone: (301) 975-4868
Email: david.sefcik [at] nist.gov
The webinar will be a live stream, so participants must have a constant connection during the webinar (hard-wired is preferred).
1. Operating System (browser) configurations:
- Windows 10, 8.1 (32-bit/64-bit), Windows 7 (32-bit/64-bit)
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 11 or later, Windows Edge browser, Mozilla Firefox, and Google Chrome
- For HTML Client - Google Chrome (v70.0 & above), Mozilla Firefox (v65.0 & above), and Edge (v42.0 & above)
- Mac OS
- Mac OS X 10.12, 10.13 and 10.14
- Mozilla Firefox, Apple Safari, Google Chrome
- For HTML Client - Google Chrome (v70.0 & above), Apple Safari (v12.0 & above), and Mozilla Firefox (v65.0 & above)
- Ubuntu 16.04; Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6
- No application support is available for Linux. Users on Linux can attend meetings in a browser.
- Google Chrome, Adobe Flash Player 23.0
- The Adobe Connect app for iOS and Android requires Adobe Connect Server version 8.2 or later
- Google Android 4.4 or later
- Apple iOS: iOS 8.1.2 or later
- Some features may not be enabled in all Adobe Connect meetings if one is using an Adobe Connect Server older than version 9.4.2 (required for Custom pods)
- NOTE: OWM discourages using the Adobe Connect app for iOS and Android because engaging with highly technical content and interactive polls are challenging on a small screen.
3. Media players
- In order to access the event, you must have, at a minimum, Adobe® Flash® Player 13 or higher installed on your computer. Please visit http://get2.adobe.com/flashplayer/ to download the Flash Player.
4.International Phone Calls
- Before the webinar – Participants are responsible for verifying and testing that international calling is enabled on any telephone extension that will be used during the webinar. Some organizations permit only domestic calls, which may restrict the participant from making an international call to the OWM toll free number. A request to enable international call services may be necessary. Failing to test international phone service could prevent participation in the webinar.
5. Optional: If you have never attended an Adobe Connect meeting before:
* Adobe, the Adobe logo, Acrobat and Adobe Connect are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Adobe Systems Incorporated in the United States and/or other countries.