This 2-hour webinar provides a very basic introduction to uncertainty calculations and reporting using the 8-step process published in NIST SOP 29 (NISTIR 6969), beginning with some definitions and concepts from the Guide to the Expression of Uncertainty in Measurement (GUM) and includes some simple calculations. NOTE: The content is similar to what is covered in the Fundamentals of Metrology seminar and is a useful pre-cursor or review for content covered during the course and includes calculations and an integrated application quiz. The session ends with an optional 30-minute session for Questions and Answers.
At the end of this session, using SOP 29 and course notes, participants will be able to:
- DEFINE: standard uncertainty, expanded uncertainty, coverage factor, Type A methods, Type B methods;
- DESCRIBE the importance of knowing and evaluating measurement uncertainty; ;
- Be able to: SPECIFY, IDENTIFY, QUANTIFY, CONVERT, COMBINE, EXPAND, EVALUATE, and REPORT uncertainties for a simple scenario;
- EXPLAIN the concepts of uncertainty and its relationship to metrological traceability;
- IDENTIFY documentation requirements for uncertainty calculations within a calibration laboratory; and
- IMPLEMENT an uncertainty budget based on concepts presented in NISTIR 6969, SOP 29 and the Guide to the Expression of Uncertainty in Measurement.
Materials & Supplies:
There are no prerequisites for this webinar. Knowledge of basic mathematics and statistics is expected and must be used for successful completion.
Read NISTIR 6969, SOP 29
Must be completed prior to webinar.
Submit Student Notes (Highlights, Applications, and Application Quiz).
Post-work must be submitted to instructors by Thursday, May 27, 2021.
Successful Completion includes completing pre- and post-work assignments, full attendance and participation in the session activities and discussion, including the integrated quiz/calculations.
Laboratory metrology staff and administrators who are new to uncertainty calculations or who would like to review the 8-step process of SOP 29. The session would also be useful for metrology staff who will be conducting on-the-job-training for new staff members.
The current fee for webinars is $289 and confirmed participants will be provided payment instructions. Registration fee payment is due by May 7, 2021. Registration fees for State weights and measures metrologists are funded by NIST OWM.
Micheal Hicks, Daniel Walker (OH)
Phone: (301) 975-4615
Email: micheal.hicks [at] nist.gov
The webinar will be a live stream, so participants must have a constant connection during the webinar (hard-wired is preferred).
1. Operating System (browser) configurations:
- Windows 10, 8.1 (32-bit/64-bit), Windows 7 (32-bit/64-bit)
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 11 or later, Windows Edge browser, Mozilla Firefox, and Google Chrome
- For HTML Client - Google Chrome (v70.0 & above), Mozilla Firefox (v65.0 & above), and Edge (v42.0 & above)
- Mac OS
- Mac OS X 10.12, 10.13 and 10.14
- Mozilla Firefox, Apple Safari, Google Chrome
- For HTML Client - Google Chrome (v70.0 & above), Apple Safari (v12.0 & above), and Mozilla Firefox (v65.0 & above)
- Ubuntu 16.04; Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6
- No application support is available for Linux. Users on Linux can attend meetings in a browser.
- Google Chrome, Adobe Flash Player 23.0
- The Adobe Connect app for iOS and Android requires Adobe Connect Server version 8.2 or later
- Some features may not be enabled in all Adobe Connect meetings if one is using an Adobe Connect Server older than version 9.4.2 (required for Custom pods)
- Google Android 4.4 or later
- Apple iOS: iOS 8.1.2 or later
3. Media players
- In order to access the event, you must have, at a minimum, Adobe® Flash® Player 13 or higher installed on your computer. Please visit http://get2.adobe.com/flashplayer/ to download the Flash Player.
4. Optional: If you have never attended an Adobe Connect meeting before:
* Adobe, the Adobe logo, Acrobat and Adobe Connect are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Adobe Systems Incorporated in the United States and/or other countries.