This 2-hour webinar will introduce measurement system basics, including the use of unit symbols, prefixes, and transitioning within and between measurement systems units. This webinar is ideal for participants who are unfamiliar with performing unit conversion calculations that are frequently required in many legal metrology activities.
At the end of this session, using your notes, NIST SP 811, and NIST HB 44, you will be able to:
- DEFINE the terms legal unit of measurement and legal metrology.
- IDENTIFY different systems of measurement units used in U.S. legal metrology.
- DESCRIBE how the relationships between measurement units are used to form a unit conversion factor.
- IDENTIFY appropriate unit conversion factors commonly used in legal metrology.
- RECALL the 5 steps of the unit conversion process.
- CALCULATE an accurate mathematical unit conversion using dimensional analysis.
Materials & Supplies:
Must have a calculator, smart phone, or spreadsheet that can perform basic calculations.
To refresh familiarity with the math skills needed to successfully perform unit conversion calculations, participants shall submit the completed worksheet with time estimate (minutes) to the instructor by May 22, 2019 (email@example.com). Review how to use your preferred calculator or spreadsheet prior to the webinar. Several supplemental resources are provided. Estimated time to complete: 60 minutes.
- NIST SP 811, Guide for the Use of the International System of Units. Be aware of:
- NIST HB 44, Specifications, Tolerances, and Other Technical Requirements for Weighing and Measuring Devices. Be aware of:
- Order of Operations (Video)
- Unit Conversion
- Converting Units with Conversion Factors (Video)
- Dimensional Analysis/Factor Label Method (Video)
- Understanding Conversion Factors (Video)
Submit the pre-work to the instructor by COB on Wednesday, May 22, 2019.
Participants shall demonstrate accurate unit conversion calculations. This assignment is required to demonstrate successful completion and earn a training certificate. Submit the completed worksheet with time estimate (minutes) to the instructor by July 3, 2019 (e.g., 3 weeks after the webinar; firstname.lastname@example.org). Estimated time to complete: 60 minutes.
Submit the post-work to the instructor by COB on Wednesday, July 3, 2019.
Successful Completion includes completing the pre-work assignment, full attendance and participation in the session activities and discussions, and completing the post-work assignment.
Weights and Measures officials and others who have responsibilities for determining unit conversion calculations between and within measurement systems when conducting legal metrology, regulatory, and enforcement activities. Webinar application activities focus on Weights and Measures examples. This course is available for non-weights and measures participants.
The current fee for webinars is $249. The payment deadline is COB June 3, 2019. Registration fees for State or local weights and measures officials and/or State metrologists are funded by NIST OWM.
The webinar will be a live stream, so participants must have a constant connection during the webinar.
1. Operating System (browser) configurations:
- Windows XP (Explorer 8, 9, 10, 11; Mozilla Firefox; Google Chrome)
- Windows Vista (Internet Explorer or Firefox)
- Windows 7 or 8 (Mozilla Firefox; Google Chrome)
- Apple Mac OS 10.5x (Mozilla Firefox; Apple Safari; Google Chrome)
- Ubuntu Linux (Firefox only)
2. Media players
- In order to access the event, you must have, at a minimum, Adobe® Flash® Player 11.2+ installed on your computer.
- Please visit http://get2.adobe.com/flashplayer to download the Flash Player.
3. Optional: If you have never attended an Adobe Connect meeting before:
- Test your connection: http://nist.adobeconnect.com/common/help/en/support/meeting_test.htm
- Quick start guides: http://www.connectusers.com/learning_center/getting_started/quickstart.php