Part I (April 11, 2019) and Part II (April 25, 2019): These two 2 hour sessions on Software Verification and Validation will focus on the use of Microsoft Excel in calibration laboratories and examine the ISO/IEC 17025:2017 requirements related to software. Part I will provide guidance and resources for ensuring software quality assurance, documenting evidence of verification and validation, and provide the tools for ongoing software evaluation. Successful completion will require a laboratory assignment and submission of post-work, with Part II including group review and feedback on student validations that are submitted.
At the end of this session, using notes and reference materials, you will be able to:
- IDENTIFY which criteria in ISO/IEC 17025:2017;
- EVALUATE your laboratory administrative procedures covering software quality assurance;
- COMPLETE the Laboratory Software Inventory file;
- LIST examples of Verification and Validation techniques; and
- PERFORM and EVALUATE software V&V on a laboratory spreadsheet.
Materials & Supplies:
Handouts and Slides; Procedure, Procedure Appendix: Form A, Software Inventory
Working knowledge of Excel with applications in metrology is essential.
- Read the Procedure for Software Quality Assurance and compare it to any related procedures that are in place in your laboratory. PRIOR TO THE SESSION.
- The Software Inventory and Software Verification and Validation (Form A) will be required prior to Session II. (post-work).
- Student Notes will be required as evidence of successful completion.
- Slides for the session will be sent to confirmed/registered attendees with the log-in URL.
Pre-work must be completed prior to the webinar.
Submit a copy of a Laboratory Software Inventory, and evidence of a Form A completion of a laboratory spreadsheet (submit the completed Form A and a copy of the spreadsheet that is evaluated; include the procedure if it is not a NIST SOP.) It is expected that the post-work will take 3 to 5 hours of additional time. The follow up web session to review group post-work is Session II on April 25.
Post-work must be submitted to the instructor by April 18, 2019.
Completion includes completing pre-work assignment, full attendance and participation in the session activities and discussion, submission of course post-work assignments (notes, inventory, spreadsheet and its assessment) and participation in the follow up review session.
Laboratory personnel who have responsibilities for designing, validating, and/or improving the Excel spreadsheets used in their laboratory. For application to alternative software programs, contact the Instructor before registering. This course is available for non-weights and measures participants.
The current fee for webinars is $249 and confirmed participants will be provided with instructions to make a payment. Registration fees for State weights and measures regulatory officials and metrologists are funded by NIST OWM. The due date for payment is March 29, 2019.
Office of Weights and Measures
Phone: (301) 975 - 4014
The webinar will be a live stream, so participants must have a constant connection during the webinar (hard-wired is preferred).
1. Operating System (browser) configurations:
- Windows XP (Explorer 8, 9, 10, 11; Mozilla Firefox; Google Chrome)
- Windows Vista (Internet Explorer or Firefox)
- Windows 7, 8, or 10 (Mozilla Firefox; Google Chrome; Internet Explorer)
- Apple Mac OS 10.5x (Mozilla Firefox; Apple Safari; Google Chrome)
- Ubuntu Linux (Firefox only)
2. Media players
- In order to access the event, you must have, at a minimum, Adobe® Flash® Player 11.2+ installed on your computer.
- Please visit http://get2.adobe.com/flashplayer/ (link is external) to download the Flash Player.
3. Optional: If you have never attended an Adobe Connect meeting before:
- Test your connection: http://nist.adobeconnect.com/common/help/en/support/meeting_test.htm (link is external)
- Quick start guides: http://www.connectusers.com/learning_center/getting_started/quickstart.php (link is external)
- Adobe, the Adobe logo, Acrobat and Adobe Connect are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Adobe Systems Incorporated in the United States and/or other countries.