IACET CEUs Offered: 2.4
Class size Max: 16 / 25
Class No. 5509
Time: 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Registration Deadline: Friday, December 15, 2017
Before you request training, you must first establish an account in the Office of Weights and Measures Contacts System. The following is a list of helpful instructions.
- Quick Guide for OWM Contacts System
- How to Reset Password Using the Contacts System
- How to Request Training & Transcript Using the Contacts System-PDF
- How to Request Publications using OWM Contacts System
PLEASE NOTE, your request to establish an account will be processed within one business day. At that time, you will be sent a password, which will enable you to register for training in the Contacts System. If you have any questions, contact Isabel Chavez at 301-975-2128.
The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), Office of Weights and Measures will hold a seminar for Weights and Measures Officials on the most recent version of NIST Handbook 130, Uniform Laws and Regulations, "Uniform Packaging and Labeling Regulations (UPLR)
After this seminar, participants will be able to:
- UNDERSTAND and INTERPRET requirements under the Handbook 130, UPLR.
- EXPLAIN, DEMONSTRATE, and APPLY the Handbook 130, UPLR to everyday packaging of consumer and non-consumer commodities.
- DETERMINE the appropriate method of sale for various products.
- RECOGNIZE and EVALUATE various package labelings in the marketplace.
Materials & Supplies:
Participants will be provided with a notebook.
There are no prerequisites for this seminar.
Each student is required bring in empty packages and containers to the class. We will use these packages and containers as a resource for hands-on training to determine if they meet the requirements of the (UPLR). Packages and containers should include:
- Packages sold by mass, volume, count, length, Food & Non-food, Small & large packages (i.e. cosmetic to dog food), spot labels and header strips, random weight packages, Multi packs, combination & variety pack packages.
- Packages that have known problems (boxes may be folded down)
To receive a Certificate of Successful Completion, students must be in attendance for the entire class and actively participate in all in-class and off-site activities. You will be assessed on your application of all the learning objectives of this course.
State Weights and Measures officials only
There are no registration fees for this seminar. However, participants are responsible for their own travel cost.
Office of Weights and Measures
Phone: (301) 975 - 4868
You must bring a calculator or a smartphone that can perform basic calculations.
NIST / Office of Weights and Measures
California Division of Measurement Standards