This 4 day seminar will focus on the NIST Handbook 133 compliance requirements and test procedures for packages and products labeled in both liquid and dry volume. These include but are not limited to test procedures for dairy products, soda, bottled water, juices, gels, glues, caulks, mayonnaise, oysters, pressed glass and stemware, ice cream novelties, peat moss, mulch, potting solid, animal bedding and firewood. The class will include formal lecture, discussion, group exercises, audio-visual presentations, and extensive hands-on practice.
After this seminar, participants will be able to:
- IDENTIFY the equipment and materials needed to verify quantity declarations on packages sold by volume;
- DETERMINE which packaged liquids may be tested using the gravimetric test procedure and which must be tested volumetrically;
- CHOOSE appropriate reference temperature for a product and control temperature variations.
- CALCULATE the densities of a variety of products using new measurement techniques and equipment.
- IDENTIFY ways to reduce measurement errors.
- APPLY accurate measurements using a variety of measuring instruments (e.g., flasks, depth gages, micrometers, Class A Pipettes, Pi Tapes).
- DESCRIBE the safety precautions for anti-foaming agents from Safety Data Sheets (SDS), follow safe work practices and utilize personal protective equipment.
- APPLY accurate temperature determinations.
- APPLY accurate volumetric determinations with dry measures and a variety of linear measuring devices.
Materials & Supplies:
Participants will be provided with training materials.
Students must have successfully completed a NIST-taught NIST Handbook 133 - "Checking the Net Contents of Packaged Goods" - Basic course in 2013 or later.
Students must be in attendance for the entire class and actively participate in all in-class activities. You will be assessed on your application of all the learning objectives of this course.
Weights and Measures officials only.
There are no registration fees for this class. However, participants are responsible for their own transportation, lodging and meal expenses.
Office of Weights and Measures,
Phone: (301) 975 - 4868
Email: david.sefcik [at] nist.gov (david[dot]sefcik[at]nist[dot]gov)
You MUST bring a calculator. There will be no use of computers in the classroom.