Interoperability Working Group
This working group is for the discussion and development of guidance for voting system interoperability, including common data format modeling and schema development. The guidance will inform the development of requirements for the Election Assistance Commission (EAC) Voluntary Voting System Guidelines (VVSG).
Many election officials view voting system interoperability as necessary core function for future voting technology. This working group has as its objective the development of guidance that will result in voting system interoperability, bringing with it various advantages, including:
- Increased efficiency in election operations.
- Cost savings to election operations and to cost of system integration.
- Greater choice of voting equipment in the marketplace.
- More automated generation of EAC survey data.
- Reduced cost of testing and component certification.
- Greater transparency to election data.
The data format guidelines will include but are not limited to:
- Electronic Pollbooks
- Election Management Systems
- Optical Scanners
- Ballot Marking and Printing
- Auditing and Logging
Working Group Chairs:
- To be announced.
List of Current Deliverables:
- To be announced.
The NIST Voting System Interoperability Working Group will meet by telecon; date and time and connection details to be announced.
Participation in this Working Group is open to all interested parties. There are no membership fees.
List of mailing list members (TBD)
Proprietary of Information Exchanged:
All information exchanged within the WG will be non-proprietary. WG members should assume that all materials exchanged will be made public.
Mailing List Subscription:
To join, click on the following link and include with your full name and email address in the body of the message:
- You will then receive a confirmation email, to which you must reply.
To unsubscribe, click on the following link and include your name in the body of the message:
To change your email address or for any issues, please send an email to the NIST co-chair of this working group.
Mailing List Etiquette:
- The mailing list is principally for technical discussion related to the Voting System Working Group's activities and not other activities.
- Include a signature tag on all messages. Include your name, affiliation, location, and e-mail address.
- State concisely and clearly the specific topic of the comments in the subject line. This allows members to respond more appropriately to your posting and makes it easier for members to search the archives by subject.
- Only send a message to the entire list when it contains information that everyone can benefit from.
- Send messages such as "thanks for the information" or "me, too" to individuals—not to the entire list. Do this by using your e-mail application's forwarding option and typing in or cutting and pasting in the e-mail address of the individual to whom you want to respond.
- Do not send administrative messages, e.g., remove me from the list, to the mailing list. Instead, use the links on this page to change your settings or to remove yourself from a list.