Visitors to NIST Gaithersburg may access the site, between 6:00 AM- 5:00 PM, through the Visitor Center from the main gate (Gate A) at W. Diamond Ave. and Bureau Drive, unless otherwise instructed by your NIST sponsor or if a disability requires you to remain in your vehicle.
All visitors must be preregistered and present photo identification and vehicle registration information upon arrival. International visitors are required to present a passport. See the Campus Access and Security page for details.
Make sure you bring your NIST sponsor’s name and contact information, and information as to where on site you are to meet your escort. Most buildings on site require a badged NIST escort to access. (Conference attendees are normally directed to meet in public access areas.)
Site Access for Conference Attendees with Disabilities:
NIST visitors and conference attendees with disabilities are able to remain in their vehicles for the clearance process rather than having to exit their vehicles. Visitors should access the site using Gate “MAIN” Gate. “MAIN” Gate is located at 100 Bureau Drive. Please alert conference program and/or the Visitor Center staff (301-975-8986) prior to the event as soon as possible.
Driving a personal vehicle
- If you are driving, you will receive directions to the building where you are meet your escort from the Visitor Center staff.
- Temporary visitor/guest parking passes are issued at the Visitor Center and may not exceed five (5) days in duration. These must be displayed in your vehicle while on site.
- Parking is free. Visitors may park in any space not marked or reserved.
Arriving by taxi or bus
If you are coming by taxi or bus, you will be dropped off at the Visitor Center.
You should arrange to be met at the Visitor Center by your NIST sponsor. However, if you do plan to walk from the Visitor Center to your sponsor’s building, please dress for walking and the weather. NIST Gaithersburg is a large campus. You will receive directions to the building where you are meet your escort from the Visitor Center Staff.
- Bicycles may only be parked for the day at designated bicycle racks or day-use bicycle lockers.
- Bicycles may not be parked, secured, or stored against railings, light posts or signposts of any kind.
- Bicycles are not permitted inside NIST buildings.
- Bicycle racks and day-use bicycle lockers are available on a first come, first served basis, and are not assigned to individuals.
- Parking a bicycle in a designated area for longer than 24 consecutive hours requires the written authorization of the NIST Police Services Group.
- Bicycles do not require a parking pass.