- Community resilience Expand or Collapse
- Community Resilience Success Stories
- Planning Guide Expand or Collapse
- Planning Guide Briefs
- Economic Decision Guide Expand or Collapse
- Community Resilience Data Workshop
- Program and Project Descriptions Expand or Collapse
- Community Resilience Program
- Community Resilience Assessment Methodology
- Community Resilience Planning Guides
- Community Resilience Systems Model
- Cost-Effective Resource Allocation Strategies to Enhance Community Resilience
- Disaster and Failure Studies & Disaster Metrology Studies
- Guidance for Community-Wide Public Alerts in Emergencies
- Community Resilience Publications Expand or Collapse
- NIST Community Resilience Fellows
- Panel for Buildings and Infrastructure Systems Expand or Collapse
- Center of Excellence (CoE)
Community resilience is the ability to prepare for anticipated hazards, adapt to changing conditions, and withstand and recover rapidly from disruptions. Activities, such as disaster preparedness—which includes prevention, protection, mitigation, response and recovery—are key steps to resilience.
NIST manages a multi-faceted program, assisting communities and stakeholders on issues related to buildings and the interdependencies of physical infrastructure systems. The Community Resilience Program, part of NIST's broader disaster resilience work, complements efforts by others in the public and private sectors. NIST focuses on research, community planning and guidance and stakeholder engagement.
Building Codes, Planning Key to Community Resilience
“Buildings built to the most modern building codes were the safest places to be during Hurricane Sandy.” Having spent most of my life in code enforcement, I’ve known this to be fact and have seen the evidence with my own eyes. But hearing New York City Chief Resilience Officer Daniel Zarrilli say it on stage at the White House Conference on Resilient Building Codes this past May after the death and destruction wrought on the Northeast during Superstorm Sandy in 2012 brought back so many memories and reminded me why the International Code Council’s motto and mission is: “People Helping People Build a Safer World.” Read more of this guest blog post by Dominic Sims, CEO, International Code Council.