I am a senior scientist with the Advanced Network Technologies Division (ANTD) at the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST). Prior to the current position, I was a Member of Technical Staff at Network Protocols and Systems Research Department, Bell Labs Research (Crawford Hill, New Jersey) from 2010 to 2015. Prior to that, I was a Principal Scientist at Technicolor (formerly Thomson) Corporate Research at Princeton, NJ. I obtained Ph.D. from University of Massachusetts at Amherst in year 2000, and M.S. and B.S. from Shanghai Jiao Tong University.
My research interests span broadly over the distributed systems and networks, with a focus on Software Defined Networks (SDN) and its security, high-speed network measurement, and Machine Learning and its application in networking. In addition to the research, I am the author of many patents. See my publications at Google scholar, and patents here.
Currently we have NIST/NRC Postdoctoral Fellowship opening for "Autonomous Network Metrology and Analytics" project.
- Yang Guo, Alexander L. Stolyar, Anwar Walid, “Online VM Auto-Scaling Algorithms for Application Hosting in a Cloud", IEEE Transactions on Cloud Computing (TCC), Accepted.
- Z. Zha, A. Wang, Y. Guo, D. Montgomery, S. Chen, "Instrumenting Open vSwitch with Monitoring Capabilities: Design and Challenges", ACM SOSR 2018.
- A. Wang, Y. Guo, S. Chen, F. Hao, T. Lakshman, D. Montgomery, K. Sriram, "vPROM: VSwitch enhanced programmable measurement in SDN", IEEE ICNP 2017.
A. Wang, Y. Guo, F. Hao, T. Lakshman, S. Chen, "UMON: Flexible and Fine Grained Traffic Monitoring in Open vSwitch", ACM CoNEXT, 2015.
Yang Guo, Alexander L. Stolyar, Anwar Walid, “Shadow-Routing Based Dynamic Algorithms for Virtual Machine Placement in a Networked Cloud", IEEE Transactions on Cloud Computing, 2015 (conference version appeared in INFOCOM 2013).
Vijay Kumar Adhikari, Yang Guo, Fang, Hao, Volker Hilt, Zhi-Li Zhang, Matteo Varvello, Moritz Steiner, “Measurement Study of Netflix, Hulu, and a Tale of Three CDNs", IEEE/ACM Transaction on Networking (ToN), 2015, (Corresponding Author, conference version appeared in INFOCOM 2012).
An Wang, Yang Guo, Fang Hao, T.V. Lakshman, Songqing Chen, "Scotch: Scaling up SDN Control-Plane using vSwitch Based Overlay", ACM CoNEXT, Sydney, Australia, December, 2014.
Xiwang Yang, Yang Guo, Yong Liu, "Bayesian-inference Based Recommendation in Online Social Networks", IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, Volumn 24, Number 4, Page 642-651, 2013.
Yang Guo, Chao Liang, Yong Liu, "Hierarchically Clustered P2P Video Streaming: Design, implementation, and evaluation", Computer Networks, Journal, Elsevier, 56(15): 3432-3445 (2012).
Sha Hua, Yang Guo, Yong Liu, Hang Liu, Shivendra S. Panwar, “Scalable Video Multicast in Hybrid 3G/Ad-hoc Networks”, IEEE Transaction on Multimedia, Vol. 13, No. 2, April 2011.
- My recent work on SDN based programmable measurement, software switch instrumentation, and ML based anomaly detection have twice won ITL (Information Technology Lab) Building the Future (BTF) awards.
- Conquer Scalability in Machine Learning based Network Anomaly Detection, Yang Guo and Doug Montgomery, FY 2018.
- DDoS Detection and Mitigation via Programmable SDN Traffic Measurement, Yang Guo, Kotikalapudi Sriram, Doug Montgomery, FY 2016.
- Bell Labs Team Work Award, for technical excellence of CloudBand team, 2013
- Technicolor Fellowship Network, Technical leaders in Technicolor, 2009
- Best Paper Award, IEEE International Conference on Communication (ICC), 2009