Veronika A. Szalai joined NIST in 2010 as a Project Leader in the Nanoscale Imaging and Spectroscopy Group of the Center for Nanoscale Science and Technology (CNST). She received an A.B. in Chemistry from Bryn Mawr College and a Ph.D. in Inorganic Chemistry from Yale University, where her thesis work centered on biophysical measurements of water oxidation chemistry in photosynthesis. After completing post-doctoral work on DNA electrochemistry at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Veronika advanced to the rank of tenured associate professor in the Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry at the University of Maryland Baltimore County. During that time, she and her group elucidated the biophysical chemistry of copper and the amyloid peptide of Alzheimer's disease and developed methods to create guanine quadruplex-based DNA nanostructures. As part of the Biology Group, her laboratory focuses on advanced electron paramagnetic resonance spectroscopic characterization of biological nanostructures and tools for in operando reactivity measurements of nanomaterials for artificial photosynthesis applications.
- Integration of a Versatile Bridge Concept in a 34 GHz Pulsed/CW EPR Spectrometer, A. Band, M. Donohue, B. Epel, S. Madhu, V. Szalai Journal of Magnetic Resonance, 288 28-36 (2018)
- Molecular Precision at Micrometer Length Scales: Hierarchical Assembly of DNA–Protein Nanostructures, D. Schiffels, V. A. Szalai, and J. A. Liddle ACS Nano 11 6623-6629 (2017)
- Deconvoluting the influences of 3D structure on the performance of photoelectrodes for solar-driven water splitting, Esposito, D.V., Lee, Y., Yoon, H., Haney, P.M., Labrador, N.Y., Moffat, T.P., Talin, A.A., Szalai, V.A., Sustainable Energy & Fuels 1 154-173 (2017)
- Distance Measurements between Paramagnetic Ligands Bound to Parallel Stranded Guanine Quadruplexes, Donohue, M.P. & Szalai,V.A. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics 18 15447-15455 (2016)
- Tunable Electrical Conductivity in Metal-Organic Framework Thin-Film Devices Talin, A. A.; Centrone, A.; Ford, A. C.; Foster, M. E.; Stavila, V.; Haney, P.; Kinney, R. A.; Szalai, V.; El Gabaly, F.; Yoon, H. P.; Léonard, F.; Allendorf, M. D. Science, 343, 66-69 (2014)
- Design considerations for enhancing absorption in semiconductors on metals through surface plasmon polaritons Bohn, C. D.; Agrawal, A.; Lee, Y.; Choi, C. J.; Davis, M. S.; Haney, P. M.; Lezec, H. J.; Szalai, V. A., Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics 16, 6084-6091, (2014)