Research engineer in NIST MML (2019-present)
Research engineer (associate) in NIST MML, and senior research associate at University of Colorado at Boulder (2009-2019)
Research associate, NIST EEEL, Electromagnetics Division (2005-2009)
National Research Council Postdoctoral Fellow, NIST EEEL, Electromagnetics Division (2003-2005)
PhD, mechanical engineering, University of Colorado at Boulder (2002)
MS, mechanical engineering, University of Colorado at Boulder (2000)
BS, mechanical engineering, University of Colorado at Boulder (1998)
Micro scale mechanical testing of bulk materials; chip-scale instruments for testing of bulk materials; MEMS-based gas compressors for chip-scale refrigeration cooling systems and thermal management; flexible thermal ground planes; microsystems design, fabrication, packaging; MEMS sensors and actuators for harsh environments; atomic layer deposited films and polymer derived ceramics for microsystems
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- International Microelectronics and Packaging Society
- Track co-chair - International Conference and Exhibition on Device Packaging (International Microelectronics Assembly and Packaging Society) (2017-present)
- Technical committee - International Conference and Exhibition on Device Packaging (International Microelectronics Assembly and Packaging Society) (2010 - present)
- Industry-academia consulting (2009 - 2016)
Other recent publications
L.A. Liew, C.Y. Lin, R. Lewis, S. Song, Q. Li, R. Yang, Y.C. Lee, “Flexible thermal ground planes fabricated with printed circuit board technology,” J. Electronic Packaging, Vol 139, no. 1, art. No. 011003, 2017.
A. Yersak, R. Lewis, L.A. Liew, R. Wen, R. Yang, Y.C. Lee, “Atomic layer deposited coatings on nanowires for high temperature water corrosion protection,” ACS App Materials and Interfaces, Vol 8, no 27, pp. 3216-32623, 2016
S.S. Xu, R.J. Lewis, L.A. Liew, Y.C. Lee, R.G. Yang, “Development of ultra-thin thermal ground planes by using stainless-steel mesh as wicking structure,” J. Microelectromechanical Systems, vol. 25, no 5, pp. 842-844, 2016.
L. Zoli, D. Sciti, D, L.A. Liew, K. Terauds, S. Azarnoush, and R. Raj, “Additive manufacturing of ceramics enabled by flash pyrolysis of polymer precursors with nanoscale layers,”. J. Am. Ceram. Soc., 99: 57–63. doi:10.1111/jace.13946 , 2015.
R. Lewis, S.S. Xu, L.A. Liew, C. Coolidge, R. Yang, Y.C. Lee, “Thin flexible thermal ground planes: fabrication and scaling characterization,” J. Microelectromechanical Systems, Vol 24, no 6, pp. 2040-2038, 2015.
- NIST EEEL Directors Reserve Competitive Funding grant (2007-2008)
- Department of Commerce Silver Medal (2005)
- National Research Council Postdoctoral Fellowship (2003-2005)
- Best Paper of Session Award, 35th International Symposium on Microelectronics (International Microelectronics and Packaging Society, 2002)