Kevin Douglass is a world class molecular spectroscopist in the Physical Measurement Laboratory at NIST. He is developing rapid and sensitive spectroscopic techniques for the measurement of dynamic pressure. The goal is to develop the first dynamic pressure standard for the United States based on the fundamentals of spectroscopy. Kevin came to NIST in 2007 and has been developing state-of-the-art spectroscopic tools in areas spanning from the microwave, terahertz, near infrared, and the ultraviolet. His research thus far has resulted in 2 patents with a third pending. Kevin's current research also extends into the nano-fabricated photonic device technology and leveraging this rapidly evolving technology to develop novel ultra-compact, low cost spectroscopic sensors.
- President elect Sigma Xi 2014 - 2015
- 2007 National Research Council Postdoctoral Research Associateship
- B. C. Dian, G. G. Brown, K. O. Douglass, and B. H. Pate, "Measuring Picosecond Isomerization Kinetics Using Broadband Microwave Spectroscopy", Science, 320, 924-928(2008)
- B. C. Dian, G. G. Brown, K. O. Douglass, F. S. Rees, J. E. Johns, P. Nair, R. D. Suenram, and B. H. Pate, "Conformational Isomerization Kinetics of Pent-1-en-4-yne with 3330 cm-1 of Internal Energy Measured by Dynamic Rotational Spectroscopy" ", Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. 105, 12696-12700 (2008).
- K.O. Douglass, SE Maxwell, GW Truong, RD van Zee, JR Whetstone, JT Hodges, DA Long, DF Plusquellic, "Rapid scan absorption spectroscopy using a waveform-driven electro-optic phase modulator in the 1.6–1.65 μm region," JOSA B 30 (10), 2696-2703, (2013)
- G.-W. Truong, K. O. Douglass, S. E. Maxwell, R. D. van Zee, D. F. Plusquellic, J. T. Hodges, D. A. Long, "Frequency-agile, rapid scanning spectroscopy," Nature Photonics, 7, 532–534 (2013)
- David F. Plusquellic, David A. Long, Kevin O. Douglass, Joseph T. Hodges, Adam J. Fleisher, Steve Maxwell, "Multi-Heterodyne Detection with Dual optical Frequency Combs Generated from Continuous–Wave Lasers," Invention Disclosure submitted Jan 2014
- David F. Plusquellic, Kevin O. Douglass, Stephen E. Maxwell, Joseph T. Hodges, David A. Long, Gar-Wing Truong, "Fast switching arbitrary frequency light source for broadband spectroscopic applications," Awarded Feb 4, 2014 Patent No. US8642982 B2
- Eyal Gerecht, David F. Plusquellic, Kevin O. Douglass "Chirped-Pulse Fourier Transform Spectroscopy at millimeter and THz frequencies," Awarded June 10, 2014 Patent No. 8748729 B1