Dr. Georges Pavlidis is a guest researcher associate in the Physical Measurement Laboratory. In 2022, he joined the Department of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Connecticut as an Assistant Professor. Prior to that, he was an NRC Postdoctoral Researcher in the Nanoscale Spectroscopy Group. He earned his M.Eng in Mechanical Engineering from Imperial College London in 2013 and his M.S., Ph.D. degree in Mechanical Engineering from the Georgia Institute of Technology in 2018.
Dr. Pavlidis’ research focuses on developing new technology for solving today’s big data, energy, medical, space and quantum engineering challenges. His plan is to develop novel methods which will reveal complex processes that occur on the nanoscale. Examples of his research range from studying how heat is transferred in wireless devices to understanding the failure mechanisms in neuromorphic devices. By doing so, Dr. Pavlidis aims to improve the efficiency and performance of the next generation radio frequency (6G+) and power electronics (electric vehicles). His future research interests include monitoring the degradation in high performance systems as well as understanding the thermal properties of 2-D materials with outlook to quantum technologies.
- G. Pavlidis, A.M. Hilton, J.L. Brown, E.R. Heller, S. Graham, “Monitoring the Joule Heating Profile of GaN/SiC HEMTs via Cross Sectional Thermal Imaging”, Journal of Applied Physics, Editor’s Pick, Vol. 12, Issue 7, pp. 75705, 2020
- G. Pavlidis, L. Yates, D. Kendig, C.F. Lo, H. Marchand, B. Barabadi, S. Graham, “The effect of Superlattices on the thermal performance of GaN/Si HEMTs using near-bandgap thermoreflectance imaging”, IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, Vol. 67, Issue 3, pp. 822-827, 2020
- G. Pavlidis, S.H. Kim, I. Abid, M. Zegaoui, F. Medjdoub, S. Graham, “The Effects of AlN and Copper Back Side Deposition on the Performance of Etched Back GaN/Si HEMTs”, IEEE Electron Device Letters, Vol. 40, Issue 7, pp. 1060-1063, 2019
- A. Cutivet, G. Palvidis, B. Hassan, M. Bouchilaoun, C. Rodriguez, A. Soltani, S. Graham, F. Boone, H. Maher, “Scalable Modeling of Transient Self-Heating of GaN High-Electron-Mobility Transistors Based on Experimental Measurements”, IEEE Transaction on Electron Devices, Vol. 66, Issue 5, pp. 2139-215, 2019
- G. Pavlidis, S. Som, J. Barrett, W. Struble, S. Graham, “The impact of temperature on GaN/Si HEMTs under RF operation using gate resistance thermometry”, IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, Vol. 66, Issue 1, pp. 330-336, 2019
- G. Pavlidis, E. R. Heller, D. Kendig, S. Graham, “Transient Thermal Characterization of AlGaN/GaN HEMTs Under Pulsed Biasing”, IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, Vol. 65, Issue 5, pp. 1753-1758, 2018
- E. Tamdogan, G. Pavlidis, S. Graham, M. Arik, “A Comparative Study on the Junction Temperature Measurements of LEDs With Raman Spectroscopy, Microinfrared (IR) Imaging, and Forward Voltage Methods” IEEE Transactions on Components, Packaging and Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 8, Issue 11, pp. 1914-1922, 2018
- J. Dallas, G. Pavlidis, B. Chatterjee, J.S. Lundh, M. Ji, J. Kim, T. Kao, T. Detchprohm, R.D. Dupuis, S. Shen, S. Graham, S. Choi “Thermal Characterization of Gallium Nitride p-i-n Diodes”, Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 112, Issue 7, 2018
- G. Pavlidis, S. Pavlidis, E. R. Heller, E. A. Moore, R. Vetury, and S. Graham, "Characterization of AlGaN/GaN HEMTs Using Gate Resistance Thermometry," IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices, vol. 64, pp. 78-83, 2017.
- P. M. Campbell, A. Tarasov, C. Joiner, M.Y. Tsai, G. Pavlidis, S. Graham, W. J. Ready, E. Vogel, “Field-effect transistors based on wafer-scale, highly uniform few-layer p-type WSe2”, Nanoscale, vol. 8, pp. 2268-2276, 2015