Session I (August 1, 2024) and Session II (August 22, 2024)
These two 2 hour sessions on Software Verification and Validation will focus on the use of Microsoft Excel in calibration laboratories and examine the ISO/IEC 17025:2017 requirements related to software. Part I will provide guidance and resources for ensuring software quality assurance, documenting evidence of verification and validation, and provide the tools for ongoing software evaluation. Successful completion will require a laboratory assignment and submission of post-work, with Part II including group review and feedback on student validations that are submitted.
At the end of this session, using notes and reference materials, you will be able to:
- IDENTIFY which criteria in ISO/IEC 17025:2017;
- EVALUATE your laboratory administrative procedures covering software quality assurance;
- COMPLETE the Laboratory Software Inventory file;
- LIST examples of Verification and Validation techniques; and
- PERFORM and EVALUATE software V&V on a laboratory spreadsheet as 'Post-Work'.
Materials & Supplies
Handouts and Slides; Good Laboratory Practices (GLP); GLP-15 Appendix A - Software Verification and Validation Form.
There are no prerequisites for this webinar. However, a working knowledge of Excel with applications in metrology is essential.
Pre-work must be completed prior to the first webinar.
1. Read: The GLP-15 for Software Quality Assurance.
2. Submit: Any related procedure(s) that are in place in your laboratory for ‘Software Quality Assurance’.
3. Submit: SOPs Reading Outline based on GLP-15 (link is above) to instructor by COB July 15, 2024.
Pre-work must be submitted to the instructors by COB Monday, July 15, 2024.
- Submit the completed Form A (Software Inventory and Software Verification and Validation to the instructors by COB Thursday, August 8, 2024.
- Submit a copy of the spreadsheet that is evaluated; include the procedure if it is not a NIST SOP.
Post-work must be submitted to the instructors by COB Thursday, August 8, 2024.
Completion includes completing pre-work assignment, full attendance and participation in the session activities and discussion, submission of course post-work assignments (notes, inventory, spreadsheet and its assessment) and participation in the follow up review session.
Laboratory personnel who have responsibilities for designing, validating, and/or improving the Excel spreadsheets used in their laboratory. For application to alternative software programs, contact the Instructor before registering. This course is available for non-weights and measures participants.
The current registration fee for webinars is $289. The payment deadline is COB Monday, July 22, 2024, and confirmed participants will receive payment instructions. Registration fees for State weights and measures regulatory officials and metrologists are funded by NIST OWM..
Isabel Chavez Baucom, Micheal Hicks, Elizabeth Koncki
Email: isabel.chavez.baucom [at] nist.gov (isabel[dot]chavez[dot]baucom[at]nist[dot]gov)
The webinar will be a live stream, so participants must have a constant connection during the webinar (hard-wired is preferred).
1. Operating System (browser) configurations:
- Windows 10, 8.1 (32-bit/64-bit), Windows 7 (32-bit/64-bit)
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 11 or later, Windows Edge browser, Mozilla Firefox, and Google Chrome
- For HTML Client - Google Chrome (v70.0 & above), Mozilla Firefox (v65.0 & above), and Edge (v42.0 & above)
- Mac OS
- Mac OS X 10.12, 10.13 and 10.14
- Mozilla Firefox, Apple Safari, Google Chrome
- For HTML Client - Google Chrome (v70.0 & above), Apple Safari (v12.0 & above), and Mozilla Firefox (v65.0 & above)
- Ubuntu 16.04; Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6
- No application support is available for Linux. Users on Linux can attend meetings in a browser.
- Google Chrome, Adobe Flash Player 23.0
- The Adobe Connect app for iOS and Android requires Adobe Connect Server version 8.2 or later
- Some features may not be enabled in all Adobe Connect meetings if one is using an Adobe Connect Server older than version 9.4.2 (required for Custom pods)
- Google Android 4.4 or later
- Apple iOS: iOS 8.1.2 or later
3. Media players
- In order to access the event, you must have, at a minimum, Adobe® Flash® Player 13 or higher installed on your computer. Please visit http://get2.adobe.com/flashplayer/ to download the Flash Player.
4. International Phone Calls
- Before the webinar – Participants are responsible for verifying and testing that international calling is enabled on any telephone extension that will be used during the webinar. Some organizations permit only domestic calls, which may restrict the participant from making an international call to the OWM toll free number. A request to enable international call services may be necessary. Failing to test the international phone service could prevent participation in the webinar.
5. Optional: If you have never attended an Adobe Connect meeting before:
* Adobe, the Adobe logo, Acrobat and Adobe Connect are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Adobe Systems Incorporated in the United States and/or other countries.