The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), Office of Weights and Measures will hold a seminar for Weights and Measures Officials on the most recent version of NIST Handbook 130, Uniform Laws and Regulations, "Uniform Packaging and Labeling Regulations (UPLR)"
After this seminar, participants will be able to:
- UNDERSTAND and INTERPRET requirements under the Handbook 130, UPLR.
- EXPLAIN, DEMONSTRATE, and APPLY the Handbook 130, UPLR to everyday packaging of consumer and non-consumer commodities.
- DETERMINE the appropriate method of sale for various products.
- RECOGNIZE and EVALUATE various package labelings in the marketplace.
Materials & Supplies:
Participants will be provided with a notebook.
There are no prerequisites for this seminar.
Each student is required to bring in empty packages and containers to the class. These items will be used as resources for the hands-on portion of the training to determine if they meet the requirements of the (UPLR). Packages and containers should include but are not limited to:
- Packages sold by mass, volume, count, length, Food & Non-food, Small & large packages (i.e. cosmetic to dog food), spot labels and header strips, random weight packages, Multi packs, combination & variety pack packages.
- Packages that have known problems.
- Packages may be flattened for portability.
To receive a Certificate of Successful Completion, students must be in attendance for the entire class and actively participate in all in-class and off-site activities. You will be assessed on your application of all the learning objectives of this course.
New Jersey Weights and Measures officials only.
There are no registration fees for this seminar. However, participants are responsible for their own travel cost.
Office of Weights and Measures
Phone: (301) 975 - 4868
Email: david.sefcik [at] nist.gov (david[dot]sefcik[at]nist[dot]gov)
You must bring a calculator or a smartphone that can perform basic calculations.