Part I (3/15/2018) and Part II (4/12/2018)
These two 2 hour sessions on Software Verification and Validation will focus on the use of Microsoft Excel in calibration laboratories and examine the ISO/IEC 17025 requirements related to software. Part 1 will provide guidance and resources for ensuring software quality assurance, documenting evidence of verification and validation, and provide the tools for ongoing software evaluation. Successful completion will require a laboratory assignment and submission of post-work, with Part 2 including group review and feedback on student validations that are submitted.
At the end of this session, using notes and reference materials, you will be able to:
- IDENTIFY which criteria in ISO/IEC 17025 & NIST Handbook 143 address computer system requirements;
- EVALUATE your laboratory administrative procedures covering software quality assurance;
- COMPLETE the Laboratory Software Inventory file;
- LIST examples of Verification and Validation techniques; and
- PERFORM and EVALUATE software V&V on a laboratory spreadsheet as Post-Work.
Materials & Supplies:
Handouts and Slides; SAP 10, Form A, Software Inventory
Working knowledge of Excel with applications in metrology is essential.
- Read SAP 10 and compare it to any related procedures that are in place in your laboratory. PRIOR TO THE SESSION.
- The Software Inventory and Software Verification and Validation (Form A) (both attached) will be required within 30 days of completing the webinar (post-work).
- Session notes will be required as evidence of successful completion.
- Slides for the session will be sent to confirmed/registered attendees with the log-in URL.
Pre-work must be completed prior to the webinar.
Submit a copy of a Laboratory Software Inventory, and evidence of a Form A completion of a laboratory spreadsheet (submit the completed Form A and a copy of the spreadsheet that is evaluated; include the procedure if it is not a NIST SOP.) It is expected that the post-work will take 3 to 5 hours of additional time. A follow up web session will be scheduled to review group post-work.
Post-work must be submitted to the instructor by April 5, 2018.
Completion includes completing pre-work assignment, full attendance and participation in the session activities and discussion, submission of course post-work assignments (notes, inventory, spreadsheet and its assessment) and participation in the follow up review session.
Laboratory personnel who have responsibilities for designing, validating, and/or improving the Excel spreadsheets used in their laboratory. For application to alternative software programs, contact the Instructor before registering. This course is available for non-weights and measures participants.
The current fee for webinars is $199 and confirmed participants will be provided with instructions to make a payment. Registration fees for State weights and measures regulatory officials and metrologists are funded by NIST OWM. The due date for payment is March 5, 2018.
The webinar will be a live stream, so participants must have a constant connection during the webinar (hard-wired is preferred).
1. Operating System (browser) configurations:
- Windows XP (Explorer 8, 9, 10, 11; Mozilla Firefox; Google Chrome)
- Windows Vista (Internet Explorer or Firefox)
- Windows 7, 8, or 10 (Mozilla Firefox; Google Chrome; Internet Explorer)
- Apple Mac OS 10.5x (Mozilla Firefox; Apple Safari; Google Chrome)
- Ubuntu Linux (Firefox only)
2. Media players
- In order to access the event, you must have, at a minimum, Adobe® Flash® Player 11.2+ installed on your computer.
- Please visit http://get2.adobe.com/flashplayer/ (link is external) to download the Flash Player.
3. Optional: If you have never attended an Adobe Connect meeting before:
- Test your connection: http://nist.adobeconnect.com/common/help/en/support/meeting_test.htm (link is external)
- Quick start guides: http://www.connectusers.com/learning_center/getting_started/quickstart.php (link is external)
- Adobe, the Adobe logo, Acrobat and Adobe Connect are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Adobe Systems Incorporated in the United States and/or other countries.