Part I (3/15/2018) and Part II (4/12/2018)
These two 2 hour sessions on Software Verification and Validation will focus on the use of Microsoft Excel in calibration laboratories and examine the ISO/IEC 17025 requirements related to software. Part 1 will provide guidance and resources for ensuring software quality assurance, documenting evidence of verification and validation, and provide the tools for ongoing software evaluation. Successful completion will require a laboratory assignment and submission of post-work, with Part 2 including group review and feedback on student validations that are submitted.
At the end of this session, using notes and reference materials, you will be able to:
- IDENTIFY which criteria in ISO/IEC 17025 & NIST Handbook 143 address computer system requirements;
- EVALUATE your laboratory administrative procedures covering software quality assurance;
- COMPLETE the Laboratory Software Inventory file;
- LIST examples of Verification and Validation techniques; and
- PERFORM and EVALUATE software V&V on a laboratory spreadsheet as Post-Work.
Materials & Supplies:
Handouts and Slides; SAP 10, Form A, Software Inventory
Working knowledge of Excel with applications in metrology is essential.
- Read SAP 10 and compare it to any related procedures that are in place in your laboratory. PRIOR TO THE SESSION.
- The Software Inventory and Software Verification and Validation (Form A) (both attached) will be required within 30 days of completing the webinar (post-work).
- Session notes will be required as evidence of successful completion.
- Slides for the session will be sent to confirmed/registered attendees with the log-in URL.
Pre-work must be completed prior to the webinar.
Submit a copy of a Laboratory Software Inventory, and evidence of a Form A completion of a laboratory spreadsheet (submit the completed Form A and a copy of the spreadsheet that is evaluated; include the procedure if it is not a NIST SOP.) It is expected that the post-work will take 3 to 5 hours of additional time. A follow up web session will be scheduled to review group post-work.
Post-work must be submitted to the instructor by April 5, 2018.
Completion includes completing pre-work assignment, full attendance and participation in the session activities and discussion, submission of course post-work assignments (notes, inventory, spreadsheet and its assessment) and participation in the follow up review session.
Laboratory personnel who have responsibilities for designing, validating, and/or improving the Excel spreadsheets used in their laboratory. For application to alternative software programs, contact the Instructor before registering. This course is available for non-weights and measures participants.
The current fee for webinars is $199 and confirmed participants will be provided with instructions to make a payment. Registration fees for State weights and measures regulatory officials and metrologists are funded by NIST OWM. The due date for payment is March 5, 2018.
Office of Weights and Measures
Phone: (301) 975 - 4014
Email: g.harris [at] nist.gov (g[dot]harris[at]nist[dot]gov)val.miller [at] nist.gov ( (link sends e-mail))
The webinar will be a live stream, so participants must have a constant connection during the webinar (hard-wired is preferred).
1. Operating System (browser) configurations:
- Windows XP (Explorer 8, 9, 10, 11; Mozilla Firefox; Google Chrome)
- Windows Vista (Internet Explorer or Firefox)
- Windows 7, 8, or 10 (Mozilla Firefox; Google Chrome; Internet Explorer)
- Apple Mac OS 10.5x (Mozilla Firefox; Apple Safari; Google Chrome)
- Ubuntu Linux (Firefox only)
2. Media players
3. Optional: If you have never attended an Adobe Connect meeting before: