IACET CEUs Offered: 0.4
Class size Min/Max: 6/15
Class No. 5533
Time: 02:00 p.m. - 04:00 p.m. ET
Registration Deadline: Thursday, December 28, 2017
Cancellation: We reserve the right to cancel any workshops if we do not receive sufficient registrations. Please register early and do not make any confirmed travel bookings until the course has been confirmed.
Before you request training, you must first establish an account in the Office of Weights and Measures Contacts System. The following is a list of helpful instructions.
- Quick Guide for OWM Contacts System
- How to Reset Password Using the Contacts System
- How to Request Training & Transcript Using the Contacts System-PDF
- How to Request Publications using OWM Contacts System
PLEASE NOTE, your request to establish an account will be processed within one business day. At that time, you will be sent a password, which will enable you to register for training in the Contacts System. If you have any questions, contact Isabel Chavez at 301-975-2128.
This 2 hour webinar provides a very basic introduction to uncertainty calculations and reporting using the 8-step process published in NIST SOP 29 (NISTIR 6969), beginning with some definitions and concepts from the Guide to the Expression of Uncertainty in Measurement (GUM) with simple calculations. NOTE: The content is similar to what is covered in the Fundamentals of Metrology seminar and is a useful pre-cursor or review for content covered during the course and will include calculations and a short application quiz. The session will end with an optional 30 minute session for Questions and Answers.
At the end of this session, using SOP 29 and course notes, participants will be able to:
- DEFINE: standard uncertainty, expanded uncertainty, coverage factor, Type A methods, Type B methods;
- DESCRIBE the importance of knowing and evaluating measurement uncertainty; ;
- Be able to: SPECIFY, IDENTIFY, QUANTIFY, CONVERT, COMBINE, EXPAND, EVALUATE, and REPORT uncertainties for a simple scenario;
- EXPLAIN the concepts of uncertainty and its relationship to metrological traceability;
- IDENTIFY documentation requirements for uncertainty calculations within a calibration laboratory; and
- IMPLEMENT an uncertainty budget based on concepts presented in NISTIR 6969, SOP 29 and the Guide to the Expression of Uncertainty in Measurement.
Materials & Supplies:
There are no prerequisites for this webinar. Knowledge of basic mathematics and statistics is expected.
Read NISTIR 6969, SOP 29.
Submit Student Notes (Highlights, Applications, and Application Quiz).
Successful Completion includes pre-work, 100% attendance, full participation in the session activities, discussions, calculations and submission of Student Notes with correct answers on the Application Quiz.
Laboratory metrology staff who are new to uncertainty calculations or who would like to review the 8-step process of SOP 29. The session would also be useful for metrology staff who will be conducting on-the-job-training for new staff members.
The current fee for webinars is $199 and confirmed participants will be provided with payment instructions. The due date for payment is January 8, 2018. Registration fees for State weights and measures metrologists are funded by NIST OWM.
The webinar will be a live stream, so participants must have a constant connection during the webinar (hard-wired is preferred).
1. Operating System (browser) configurations:
- Windows XP (Explorer 8, 9, 10, 11; Mozilla Firefox; Google Chrome)
- Windows Vista (Internet Explorer or Firefox)
- Windows 7, 8, or 10 (Mozilla Firefox; Google Chrome; Internet Explorer)
- Apple Mac OS 10.5x (Mozilla Firefox; Apple Safari; Google Chrome)
- Ubuntu Linux (Firefox only)
2. Media players
- In order to access the event, you must have, at a minimum, Adobe® Flash® Player 11.2+ installed on your computer.
- Please visit http://get2.adobe.com/flashplayer/ (link is external) to download the Flash Player.
3. Optional: If you have never attended an Adobe Connect meeting before:
- Test your connection: http://nist.adobeconnect.com/common/help/en/support/meeting_test.htm (link is external)
- Quick start guides: http://www.connectusers.com/learning_center/getting_started/quickstart.php (link is external)
- Adobe, the Adobe logo, Acrobat and Adobe Connect are either registered trademarks or trademarks of Adobe Systems Incorporated in the United States and/or other countries.
NIST/Office of Weights and Measures