The National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), Office of Weights and Measures will hold a seminar for Weights and Measures Officials and Industry on the most recent version of NIST Handbook 130, Uniform Laws and Regulations, "Uniform Packaging and Labeling Regulations (UPLR)"
After this seminar, participants will be able to:
- UNDERSTAND and INTERPRET requirements under the Handbook 130, UPLR.
- EXPLAIN, DEMONSTRATE, and APPLY the Handbook 130, UPLR to everyday packaging of consumer and non-consumer commodities.
- DETERMINE the appropriate method of sale for various products.
- RECOGNIZE and EVALUATE various package labelings in the marketplace.
Materials & Supplies:
There are no prerequisites for this seminar.
Each student is required bring in empty packages and containers to the class. We will use these packages and containers as a resource for hands-on training to determine if they meet the requirements of the (UPLR).
Packages and containers should include:
- Packages sold by mass, volume, count, length, Food & Non-food, Small & large packages (i.e. cosmetic to dog food), spot labels and header strips, random weight packages, Multi packs, combination & variety pack packages.
- Packages that have known problems (boxes may be folded down)
To receive a Certificate of Successful Completion, students must be in attendance for the entire class and actively participate in all in-class activities. You will be assessed on your application of all the learning objectives of this course.
No registration fee for Weights and Measures Officials. All other registrants will pay $475.00. This cost does not cover travel, lodging or meal expenses.
Office of Weights and Measures,
Phone: (301) 975 - 4868
Email: david.sefcik [at] nist.gov (david[dot]sefcik[at]nist[dot]gov)
You must bring a calculator or a smart phone that can perform basic calculations.