Net-Zero Energy Residential Test Facility (NZERTF)
Both a laboratory and a house, the two-story, four bedrooms, three-bath NZERTF would blend in nicely in a new suburban subdivision. It was designed and built to be approximately 60 percent more energy efficient than homes built to meet the requirements of the 2012 International Energy Conservation Code. During the first year of operation (July 2013 – June 2014) the house exceeded its goal with enough surplus energy to power an electric car for about 1400 miles. Instead of paying almost $4,400 for electricity – the estimated annual bill for a comparable home in Maryland – the virtual family of four residing in the all-electric home actually exported energy to the electric grid. Additional details can be found by reading “NIST Test House Exceeds Goal; Ends Year with Energy to Spare”.
During the second year of testing, the NZERTF quadrupled the amount of excess energy it sent to the grid relative to the first year, 2139 versus 484 kilowatt hours. This significant improvement was a result of Changes in Operational Strategy associated with the heating and ventilation systems and milder weather.
Hardware and software changes are currently being implemented to enable the third year of evaluation with emphases on the impact air of distribution systems on thermal comfort.
In the News
- Net-Zero Model Home Improves Energy Efficiency, 03/08/2016
- It Just Gets Better: NIST Net-Zero House Quadruples Energy Surplus in Second Year, NIST Tech Beat 3/02/2016
- At NIST Net-Zero Energy House, Energy Efficiency, Clean Air Are compatible Goals, NIST Tech Beat, 08/24/2015
- Is this the world's most energy efficient home?, Tomorrow Transformed with Richard Quest, CNN, 2/26/15
- Healthy Indoors Magazine, January 2015
- Zeroing In Net Zero House (PDF), ASHRAE Journal, October 2014
- This Home Makes All Its Own Energy. Will We All Soon Be Living In One?, Fast Company, October 2014
- A Score of Zero Equals Success, Not Failure, NEMA, October 2014
- Cool Schools: The Net Zero House, WUSA9 (CBS), 9/25/14
- Year Long Study of Net-Zero Energy Home Completed Successfully, Jetson Green, 8/16/14
- The Results Of A 1-Year Net-Zero-Energy Home Case Study, CleanTechnica, 7/21/14
- The Real Costs of the Government's “Net Zero Energy” House, The Objective Standard, 7/14/14