NIST, Research Chemist, 2013 - present
NIST/University of Hawaii, Associate, 2010-2013
NIST/University of Maryland, Associate, 2002 - 2010
M.D., Environmental Science, University of Idaho, 2000
M.D., Chemistry, Moldova State University, 1983
I am a radiochemist trained in developing/optimizing radioanalytical methods for radioactivity analyses quantifying radionuclide massic activities in different matrices.
I used and optimized over the years a range of radiochemical techniques for separation of radionuclides from a wide variety of matrices (from pure solution to complex environmental and biological samples). Those includes:
- different techniques of samples dissolution such as fusion, total acid dissolution/decomposition, and leaching.
- radiochemical separation of radionuclides (precipitation, co-precipitation, anion-exchange, and chromatographic separation);
- alpha spectrometry including source preparation (co-precipitation and electrodeposition), and spectrum analysis using different approaches and software such as Genie-2000, Alpha Vision, and ROI method.
- beta spectrometry based on Liquid Scintillation Counting (LSC) and Proportional Counting techniques including source preparation, efficiency calibration, and data evaluation.
- gamma spectrometry including calibration of gamma detectors with a wide range of matrices (from pure solution to complex matrices and phantoms).
Within the Radioactivity Group's efforts in developing Standard Reference Materials (SRM) I am actively involved in International Laboratory Intercomparison projects to certify Natural Certified Reference Materials and to determine radioactive impurities in pure SRMs.
I am actively involved in two Proficiency Testing (PT) Programs: the Radiological Traceability Program (RTP) between the DOE Reference Laboratory, the Radiological and Environmental Sciences Laboratory (RESL); and NIST Radiochemistry Intercomparison Program (NRIP) by preparing and characterizing performance testing materials and conducting measurement traceability evaluations of participating radianalytical laboratories.