Ms. Barbara Goldstein serves as Associate Director of the Physical Measurement Laboratory, the largest operational unit at NIST consisting of approximately 1300 staff and associates and two joint institutes, and which is responsible for realizing and disseminating rigorous measurements to support commercial, defense and research enterprises. Ms. Goldstein manages the “NIST on a Chip” program which is establishing a new paradigm for precision measurement dissemination through a suite of deployable, fit-for-purpose, quantum-based standards to be embedded in products or installed at user sites.
Ms. Goldstein is contributing to the emerging quantum economy through international standardization activities. She leads a standardization outlook and maturity assessment subgroup of the UN-based ITU-T Focus Group on Quantum Information Technology for Networks, and developed a standards landscape through the Quantum Economic Development Consortium. She led the development of e-commerce standards that have been used in hundreds of thousands of business transactions; led roadmap efforts for the Internet of Things and factory automation; and developed and led the NIST Technologies for the Integration of Manufacturing Applications program which competitively awarded a cost shared research portfolio of approximately $150M. Prior to joining NIST in 1992, she implemented information management systems at McDonnell Douglas (now Boeing), and managed computing facilities at the Israeli Land Authority in Jerusalem.
Goldstein B and Remley K. March 2021. Next-Generation IIOT: A Convergence of Technology Revolutions. NAE’s The Bridge – special issue “Rethinking Manufacturing – Post-pandemic Era.” (invited).
Merzbacher C and Goldstein B. October 2020. The QIST Standards Landscape. Internal report.
Contributing author to Quantum Economic Development Consortium QED-C Standards Technical Advisory Committee publications:
- “QKD Certification Analysis Overview and Findings”, April 22, 2020.
- “Quantum Information Systems Standards Landscape”, April 24, 2020.
- “Quantum Networking and Communications Standards Overview”, April 20, 2020.
- “Quantum Computing Standards Overview”, April 23, 2020.
- “About the QED-C Standards and Performance Metrics TAC”, April 16, 2020.
- “Quantum Computing Prototype Metrics and Benchmarks”, April 24, 2020.
Friedman J and Goldstein B. July 2020. IoT Suffers from a Lack of Standards: What the Electronics Industry Must Do to Change That. Printed Circuit Design & Fab/Circuits Assembly. pp 30-31.
• Full digital edition: https://digital.upmediagroup.com/issue/july-2020/
• Article: https://digital.upmediagroup.com/issue/july-2020/iot-suffers-from-a-lac…
Friedman J and Goldstein B. (co-chairs). 2019. iNEMI Roadmap, Industrial Internet of Things chapter.
Goldstein B, Fedchak J, Suplee C, Corey P, Marquis S, Martin N. December 2018. NIST on a Chip Technology/Commercialization Roadmap. Internal FOUO document.
selected Talks, Presentations
- Keynote (invited). Sensor and Measurement Science International. Nuremburg Germany. May 2021 (planned)
- Quantum Standards: A View from the Trenches. (invited) U.S. Department of Commerce International Trade Administration. December 1, 2020.
- NIST on a Chip: A Revolution in Quantum Sensing. (invited) iNEMI/SMTA Webinar Series. November 4, 2020.
- The Quantum Landscape. (invited) NIST Information Security and Privacy Advisory Board. October 15, 2020.
- NIST on a Chip Overview (invited). Presented to the Joint Panel on Aviation Support Equipment. October 1, 2020.
- Quantum Standards: A View from the Trenches. Quantum Economic Development Consortium (QED-C) plenary. September 16, 2020.
- Quantum Standards: A View from the Trenches. (invited) NIST Quantum Network Grand Challenge seminar series speaker. September 11, 2020.
- Standards for the Quantum Economy. Presentation for Paul Lopata, Principal Director, Quantum Science for DoD. April 2020.
- Quantum Workforce Development: NIST and the QED-C. (invited) National Science Foundation QIST workshop. March 2020.
- NIST on a Chip: Deployable, Quantum-based Sensing and Metrology. Presentations given at:
- Air Force Primary Standards Lab, February 2020
- Quantum Economic Development Consortium, October 2019
- Army Redstone Arsenal, October 2019
- Fueling Industry 4.0 through a Revolution in Metrology. Metrologia 2019, November 2019 (delivered at INMETRO, Brazil).
- Panel Chair: Industry Perspectives on Quantum Sensing. QED-C. Boulder Colorado. October 4, 2019.
- Quantum Standards: A NIST, QED-C and Distinctly Barbara Perspective. Assessing Performance of Quantum Computers workshop. Estes Park Colorado. September 2019.
- Panel chair. NIST on a Chip. NCSL International, Cleveland Ohio. August 28, 2019.
- Women who inspire… and inspiring women. May 24, 2017. Presented at the 150th anniversary of the Universidad Nacional de Colombia, Bogota. [Interviewed by Lisbeth Fog, science journalist, Colombian magazine Cromos. July 14, 2017.]
International Engagement (current)
- Chair, ITU-T Focus Group 4: Quantum Information Technology for Networks, WG1-Standardization Outlook and Technology Maturity subgroup.
- Co-Chair, iNEMI Industrial Internet of Things Product Emulator Group.
- Member, iNEMI Technical Committee.
- NIST representative, DoD JTC1 CCG Advanced Technology Working Group.