The Crime Scene Investigation & Reconstruction Subcommittee supports development of standards and guidance for crime scene investigations.
Officers | Members | Standards | Other Work Products
Charles S. DeFrance, Subcommittee Chair, Federal Bureau of Investigation
Jeffery Tomberlin, Subcommittee Vice Chair, Texas A&M University
Kimberlee Sue Moran, Subcommittee Executive Secretary, Rutgers University - Camden
Jeremy Chappell, Kansas City Police Crime Laboratory
Jason Keller, Naval Criminal Investigative Service
Matthew Noedel, Noedel Scientific
Clint Norris, New Mexico State Police
Jane Northup, Rhode Island State Crime Laboratory (Quality Task Group representative)
Kevin Parmelee, Somerset County Prosecutor's Office (NJ)
Maria Pettolina, University of Northern Colorado
Ronald Reinstein, Arizona Supreme Court (Legal Task Group representative)
Kimberley Shapiro, San Bernardino County Sheriff - Scientific Investigations Division
Michele Smith, Louisiana State Police Crime Laboratory
Martha Smith-Blackmore, DVM, Forensic Veterinary Investigations, LLC
Barbara Spellman, University of Virginia (Human Factors Task Group representative)
Andrea Zaferes, Dutchess County Medical Examiner
Neil Zielinski, Palm Beach County Sheriff's Office
Published by a Standards Developing Organization (SDO)
- ASTM E620-11(18) Standard Practice for Reporting Opinions of Scientific or Technical Experts.
- ASTM E1188-11(17) Standard Practice for Collection and Preservation of Information and Physical Items by a Technical Investigator.
note: Criminal justice agencies can access the astm standards above by visiting the access to standards webpage.
Sent to an SDO
OSAC 2021-N-0015, Guiding Principles for Scene Investigation and Reconstruction.
OSAC Proposed Standard on the Registry (added September 7, 2021 and sent to asb for further development and publication).
OSAC 2021-N-0016, Standard for Initial Response at Scenes by Law Enforcement.
osac proposed standard on the registry (added september 7, 2021 and sent to asb for further development and publication).
OSAC 2021-N-0019, Standard Practice for the Documentation and Processing of Shooting Scenes.
osac proposed standard on the registry (added november 1, 2022 and will be sent to asb for further development and publication).
OSAC 2022-N-0025, Standard for Scene Response: Initial Response by Scene Investigators.
osac proposed standard on the registry (added october 4, 2022 and sent to asb for further development and publication).
- Standard Practice for Crime Scene Investigator Training, Continuing Education, Professional Development, Certification, and Accreditation.
- OSAC 2021-N-0018, Standard for On-Scene Collection and Preservation of Physical Evidence.
- OSAC 2022-N-0039, Collecting and Preserving Entomological Evidence from a Terrestrial Environment.
- OSAC 2022-S-0036, Standard Method for the Chemical Testing of Copper and Lead from Suspected Projectile Impacts.
- OSAC 2022-S-0037, Standard for DNA-Based Taxonomic Identification in Forensic Entomology.
- OSAC 2023-N-0002, Standard for the Documentation of Scenes by Crime Scene Investigators.
- OSAC 2023-N-0003, Standard for Diagramming Scenes.
- Standard Practice for Crime Scene Reconstruction.
- Standard Practice for the Documentation and Processing of Animal Cruelty Scenes.
- Standard for the Examination of the Live Animals Suspected to be impacted by Cruelty to Animals.
- Standard for the Examination and Documentation of a Dog Suspected of Being Involved in Organized Fighting.
- Standard Guide for Quality Management in Crime Scene Investigation.
- Standard Practice for the Collection and Preservation of Biological Materials.
- Standard Method for Establishing a Bullet Path.
- Standard for the Collection and Preservation of Questioned Document Related Evidence.
- Standard Practice for the Enhancement of Friction Ridge Impressions.
Research & Development Needs
Webinars, Presentations & Training Videos
- OSAC Overview and CSI Subcommittee Update, 2020 Virtual Educational Conference of the Chesapeake Bay Division of the International Association for Identification (CBDIAI), September 24, 2020.
- OSAC Overview and CSI Subcommittee Update, New England Division of the International Association for Identification (IAI) Meeting, December 4, 2019.
- OSAC CSI Subcommittee and Interdisciplinary Standards Update, IAI Conference, August 2019.
- OSAC CSI Subcommittee Update, Texas Division of the IAI, June 13, 2019.
- NIST OSAC CSI Subcommittee Update, Colorado Forensic Investigators Group (COFIG), March 27, 2019.
- NIST OSAC CSI Subcommittee Update, IAI Conference, August 2018.
- NIST OSAC CSI Subcommittee Overview & Update, International Crime Scene Investigators Association's 2018 CSI Conference, May 16, 2018.